• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Liam Cullen extended contract

TerryPHELAN

First Team Player
Reaction score
As it stands Liam is currently on £3k per week so instead of offering him a new contract, we’ve only extended it by a year. Wouldn’t be surprised if deep down he’s pissed off with the clubs stance on this as surely as this season has shown he’s worth more, or at least deserved parity with some others. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Liam run his contract down and go elsewhere next summer, to which I wouldn’t blame him at all.

It’s the short termism that has blighted the thinking of our board for years. There’s only so many times you can do this sort of thing before your club gets a rep which makes players reluctant to come here

Players, talk, word gets around if sides pay over the odds, pay decent wages or peanuts, we've been guilty of all three over the recent years, we all know what peanuts gets you...

If they hadn't triggered the extra year, we would have lost him on a free. The club and the player now have an extra twelve months to agree a new deal.

He also has the option to ask his agent to engineer a move if he is unhappy. I'm not sure how many takers he'd have at this level, though.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the lad, purely because his is "one of our own". Ask yourselves if you'd honestly have that much affection towards the lad if we'd signed from Blackpool.

Not sure I would have given him any more money - he’s a good enough squad player but we need better and if triggering the extension at the current level frees up budget for better then so be it

£156,000 a year mind. For someone at best average at his job. Peanuts.

7 goals and 5 assists this season, out of his seven goals 0-1 Blackburn, 0-1 Hull City and 1-0 WBA, add in the injury time equaliser at Coventry 2-2 and you could say that has been the difference between Championship and Leauge 1.
Peanuts well spent...

Last edited:
Compared to average Championship standards, peanuts.
I know. It wasn't a dig at you Jaxs. The whole thing is ridiculous. Then clubs like ours lose nearly 18m. £156k should be our top earner. Who cares what division we are in. Remember Jenkins and his greedy band of cowboys, "we'll never be in this position again", Saddle up.

7 goals and 5 assists this season, out of his seven goals 0-1 Blackburn, 0-1 Hull City and 1-0 WBA, add in the injury time equaliser at Coventry 2-2 and you could say that has been the difference between Championship and Leauge 1.
Peanuts well spent...
That's a great analysis. Really shows that all goals aren't equal.

Scored fewer goals in more minutes on the pitch than Yates, who seems to be Universally loathed.

I hope we're extending his deal so we can get some cash for him in a sale rather than lose him on a free.

Scored fewer goals in more minutes on the pitch than Yates, who seems to be Universally loathed.

I hope we're extending his deal so we can get some cash for him in a sale rather than lose him on a free.
Well there's a number of reasons for this. Firstly Cullen is a better player. You can compare minutes etc but Cullen was shoved out wide for most of the 1st half of the season. Secondly, Cullen is a far better presser than Yates which is quite important in this system. And we also didn't pay 2.5mill for Cullen, not Yates fault of course, but we should expect better for that cost. Cullen isn't the answer either in this system but ball at feet in box, I'm far more confident Cullen scores than Yates.

Well there's a number of reasons for this. Firstly Cullen is a better player.
Thats why Jerry Yates has 32 goals in 140 odd Championship games and Liam Cullen 20 in 118. And a lot of those Yates was played wide for Blackpool.

Thats why Jerry Yates has 32 goals in 140 odd Championship games and Liam Cullen 20 in 118. And a lot of those Yates was played wide for Blackpool.
Neither of those numbers are particularly impressive for a centre forward.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back