• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Glamorgan 'cronyism' must change after Matthew Maynard departure ...

TheLoneRanger

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
"The definition of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results.

"I feel like there's a level of mediocrity that just gets accepted year after year.

"I think there is too much cronyism in the environment."

"It felt like there was a bit of favouritism towards certain individuals.

"I believe there was too much enabling of a drinking culture at the club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63075996

exiledclaseboy said:
Jaxs called this out ages ago fair play.

Maynard is a notorious slurper, its his favourite past time, so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a drinking culture at Glamorgan Cricket

exiledclaseboy said:
Jaxs called this out ages ago fair play.

As it happens I've never been slow to criticise the antics of Maynard, Wallace and Morris about the drinking culture, nepotism and lack of professionalism, along with the general mismanagement of the County on the official Glamorgan Twitter page.
One day, of the blue, Tom started following me (whilst being a member of the first team squad) and would almost immediately "like" my every tweet without fail about the goings on at CF11, I now know why...

Swanjaxs said:
As it happens I've never been slow to criticise the antics of Maynard, Wallace and Morris about the drinking culture, nepotism and lack of professionalism, along with the general mismanagement of the County on the official Glamorgan Twitter page.
One day, of the blue, Tom started following me (whilst being a member of the first team squad) and would almost immediately "like" my every tweet without fail about the goings on at CF11, I now know why...

Ex England coach and player Keith Fletcher slammed Maynard's partying when he was chosen as England's assistant coach by Duncan Fletcher - saying he wasn't "a role model for young cricketers."

Fletcher also wrote in his autobiography about Maynard's partying and drinking on England's tour of the West Indies in 1993/4!!

TheLoneRanger said:
Ex England coach and player Keith Fletcher slammed Maynard's partying when he was chosen as England's assistant coach by Duncan Fletcher - saying he wasn't "a role model for young cricketers."

Fletcher also wrote in his autobiography about Maynard's partying and drinking on England's tour of the West Indies in 1993/4!!

And yet Hugh decided he was the right man to take Glamorgan forward regardless, don't get me started on the appointment of Robert Croft as head coach by the way :lol: :lol:

So much disappointment in the last 20 years, the cup win in 2021 notwithstanding.

So many decent-looking young batsmen just not coming through. Or leaving. Carlson is a shine-out exception.

I know we sold our souls, as it were, when enabling SG for international cricket, but really the playing squad is tissue thin, especially the bowling this year.

A cadre like Wallace, Maynard and the rest should have a model for success from their learnings under Fletcher. No player pipeline, no improving players, no focus: just really poor. A failed business.

One of the reasons I cancelled my membership of Cardiff Cricket Club after over 50 years of supporting Glamorgan.

Likewise, remember those two years (93 and 97) so well - given it never looked like we would ever win anything the way in which we played cricket those seasons just gave an overall feel good factor.

We could/should have pushed on from that 97 win but various Glammy committees decided that it was more important to turn Sophia Gardens into a test venue and not invest enough in the team.

Then moving games to the Capital and giving less and less to the likes of Swansea and Colwyn Bay and slowly it left us where we are now.

Back in the day before I took over JackArmy.net my life starting writing for websites was one for Glamorgan - that was tough work but we managed at the time to do some good interviews with players (Steve James, Robert Croft, Matthew Maynard and Jimmy Maher) - it was from that that a joint testimonial/benefit dinner for Steve James and Roger Freestone came to fruition in the Marriott in October 2001.

Likewise, remember those two years (93 and 97) so well - given it never looked like we would ever win anything the way in which we played cricket those seasons just gave an overall feel good factor.

We could/should have pushed on from that 97 win but various Glammy committees decided that it was more important to turn Sophia Gardens into a test venue and not invest enough in the team.

Then moving games to the Capital and giving less and less to the likes of Swansea and Colwyn Bay and slowly it left us where we are now.

Back in the day before I took over JackArmy.net my life starting writing for websites was one for Glamorgan - that was tough work but we managed at the time to do some good interviews with players (Steve James, Robert Croft, Matthew Maynard and Jimmy Maher) - it was from that that a joint testimonial/benefit dinner for Steve James and Roger Freestone came to fruition in the Marriott in October 2001.
Four players there Phil who would make a massive difference if they were around for Glamorgan today!

And one who would put the majority of our squad to shame at the .Com, not just now but for many of the most recent seasons...

Start of Euro 2024

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back