• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Tata

Neath_Jack

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Very bad news for the community.

This has been coming for a long time now, looks like it is going to happen.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-updates-thousands-job-losses-27716778

Neath_Jack said:
Very bad news for the community.

This has been coming for a long time now, looks like it is going to happen.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/live-updates-thousands-job-losses-27716778

I've been out of there since 2016 and they were proposing Arc furnaces way way before that, but they were very reluctant to go down that route, due to the differences in the quality of steel that the Blast Furnaces produce in comparison to Arc, apparently.

Niigata Jack said:
I've been out of there since 2016 and they were proposing Arc furnaces way way before that, but they were very reluctant to go down that route, due to the differences in the quality of steel that the Blast Furnaces produce in comparison to Arc, apparently.

They've got to do it now or very soon.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago to see some of our lot, and they were saying then the steel boys were fuming as they had got wind it was happening sooner rather than later.

Not sure how much truth is in that about the difference in quality, I've only ever heard Tata people say it. I'll be surprised if we haven't got a top notch metallurgist on here, we've got experts in everything else :lol:

Also Celsa steel in cardiff are in a bit bother financially as well, been taken over by bank or something.

Are the govt basically giving an Indian owned firm £500 million? If that is the case then it should be shut. That is a massive amount of money to be given to someone else. No idea what the manufacturing process costs but what are the costs to buy it?

jack_lord said:
Are the govt basically giving an Indian owned firm £500 million? If that is the case then it should be shut. That is a massive amount of money to be given to someone else. No idea what the manufacturing process costs but what are the costs to buy it?

For what it’s worth ArcelorMittal is likely to get €1bn from the EU here in Bremen to convert steel plant to be able to use hydrogen power. Thyssenkrupp have already been granted a similar sum.

Neath_Jack said:
They've got to do it now or very soon.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago to see some of our lot, and they were saying then the steel boys were fuming as they had got wind it was happening sooner rather than later.

Not sure how much truth is in that about the difference in quality, I've only ever heard Tata people say it. I'll be surprised if we haven't got a top notch metallurgist on here, we've got experts in everything else :lol:

Thing is it's not just gonna affect the blast, it'll affect the Boss Plant, Con Cast, Sinter Plant, Coal Handling and Coke Ovens at least.

jack_lord said:

They had hundreds of millions off the Government, since they took over, used emotional blackmail to obtain the funds to, by threatening massive job cut, did the same when the emissions issues were mentioned, conning twats.

Got 40 years out of the industry , British Steel , Corus , Tata till I took the money and ran in 2017 .

Background noise has existed since they pulled the Pension Plan showing TATA was a business , not a family friendly firm with grounded roots in the community , wherever that was .

As with most of these closures the loss of the core workers , as reported , is the tip of the iceberg , adding on losses in the attached sub contractors , transport , services , maintainence teams .
The other losses could well be suffered by satellite companies , including Trostre who rely on Port Talbot fot supplies .

On top of our ghostlike City Centres and Drakeford taking us back to horse and cart , another hammer blow for our area ,

Robbie said:
Got 40 years out of the industry , British Steel , Corus , Tata till I took the money and ran in 2017 .

Background noise has existed since they pulled the Pension Plan showing TATA was a business , not a family friendly firm with grounded roots in the community , wherever that was .

As with most of these closures the loss of the core workers , as reported , is the tip of the iceberg , adding on losses in the attached sub contractors , transport , services , maintainence teams .
The other losses could well be suffered by satellite companies , including Trostre who rely on Port Talbot fot supplies .

On top of our ghostlike City Centres and Drakeford taking us back to horse and cart , another hammer blow for our area ,

Were you in Port Talbot,Rob?

Niigata Jack said:

TATA are streetwise and ruthlessly astute knowing that every modern industrial nation has to have its own blast furnaces for steel production, because of a possibility of war, its a strategic must. Royal Navy chief of staff Lord West raised concerns about that.

Another thing i.e. any country without blast furnaces will then be at the mercy of overseas suppliers who may (if they operate like TATA) be in a more advantageous position to charge excessive amounts, along with the fact that additional costs of shipping heavy steel will up the end price(s) even further also. I cannot help thinking about Germany's over reliance on Russian gas, a case of, its better for a country to have self reliance than to depend on others.

Darran said:
Were you in Port Talbot,Rob?
No , done my time risking crossing Loughor Bridge into Scarlet Country and done most work down there .
All said I did enjoy it , never had much to do with Port Talbot though .

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back