• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Bands or artists you just don't get

Best_loser said:
Jack2jack said:
They have done some cracking stuff mind, but as you say a bit like marmite.

Oasis and radiohead are the only two great bands since the 1970 s
That's a hell of a statement.
Not so keen on Radiohead. Oasis much better, its all a matter of taste, no ones right or wrong on this, to be fair ;)

Best_loser said:
Jack2jack said:
They have done some cracking stuff mind, but as you say a bit like marmite.

I prefer latter Radiohead to old Radiohead. OK computer onwards that is.

There are lots of bands out there who never got the commercial success yet influenced bands that got that success. Bands like Grandaddy, Flaming Lips, Super Furry Animals, Elliott Smith, Cocteau Twins. Critically acclaimed but never got the real success they deserved.

dailew said:
Jack2jack said:
Just my personal opinion, however,There is one group I just don't get, never have and don't think i ever will........
The Beatles,

Stuart Maconie always says that people that say that only do it for effect. Not me, of course.

There must be something in their oeuvre that you like?

It's a pretty wide canon of work.

Some people even claim they did some early heavy metal with "Helter Skelter".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWW2SzoAXMo
Nah sorry, don't do things for effect, my missus and i have spoken about this very thing many times, and she's horrified,
and i can't really put my finger on why, i just don't get them, they don't float my boat. And i cant, just like them because everyone else seems to. '

Jack2jack said:
dailew said:
Stuart Maconie always says that people that say that only do it for effect. Not me, of course.

Nah sorry, don't do things for effect, my missus and i have spoken about this very thing many times, and she's horrified,
and i can't really put my finger on why, i just don't get them, they don't float my boat. And i cant, just like them because everyone else seems to. '

I like some of their stuff but I prefer Brian Wilson era Beach Boys - Pet Sounds and Smile to me are way superior to anything the Beatles put out.

Jack2jack said:
dailew said:

I had a research assistant who actively hated the Beatles, Lennon in particular. Not the best thing in the Liverpool area!

Ebo said:
Best_loser said:

I prefer latter Radiohead to old Radiohead. OK computer onwards that is.

There are lots of bands out there who never got the commercial success yet influenced bands that got that success. Bands like Grandaddy, Flaming Lips, Super Furry Animals, Elliott Smith, Cocteau Twins. Critically acclaimed but never got the real success they deserved.

The Cocteau Twins were one of my favourite bands in the 1980s, though less keen on the post-4AD stuff. Indirectly got me into Big Star via the first 'This Mortal Coil" LP. Liz Frazer's version of Roy Harper's 'Another Day' on that is amazing. I'm also of the school of "Pet Sounds' though like the Beatles too. And the Stones for good measure.

I follow the sound of the music more so than the band. Some of my favoured bands have produced some absolute dross that I won't hesitate to skip over when it comes on. On the other hand I'll happily listen to or purchase a one off from a band that I've never heard of if the sound is appealing; that doesn't then mean that I follow that band.

I don't get the Beatles either, although I did like their very early albums especially "With the Beatles" and "A Hard Day's Night" but the rest do zip for me. I really don't get the Sgt Pepper adulation and as for "Hey Jude" - a song to hang yourself to.

Also can't understand what the attraction is for The Rolling Stones. Jagger on stage looks like a stick insect being electrocuted.

legoman said:
Also can't understand what the attraction is for The Rolling Stones. Jagger on stage looks like a stick insect being electrocuted.

Didn't really get the Stones myself until I saw The Counterfeit Stones.

Well worth seeing. Some funny bants as well.

e.g.
Nick Dagger - "This song's in A minor and is for Bill. He loves A minor."

cmajack said:
Coldplay, Radiohead , Slipknot.
Now you see, some of the early Coldplay Albums Parachutes, Rush of Blood, X&Y are in my opinion better than their later stuff.
All about opinions at the end of the day :cool: :cool:

legoman said:
I don't get the Beatles either, although I did like their very early albums especially "With the Beatles" and "A Hard Day's Night" but the rest do zip for me. I really don't get the Sgt Pepper adulation and as for "Hey Jude" - a song to hang yourself to.

Again, always preferred The Stones to the Beatles. recently had a Stones CD as a gift, thoroughly enjoying it.

Also don't get Pulp, Libertines or (puts on hard hat) Manics and Stereophonics.

legoman said:
Also don't get Pulp, Libertines or (puts on hard hat) Manics and Stereophonics.

The Libertines have grown on me. Did not 'get it' at the time. Quite like Pulp and the Manics, but certainly find the Stereophonics (other than their 1st album) very dull. If they were from Stoke not Aberdare (Cwmamman) not sure their popularity in South Wales would hold.

The Smiths I just didn't get at all but some I know thought they were amazing.
Slipknot have already had a mention, I like my heavy rock but really??

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back