• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Who stays who goes?

Swansea93

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Who would you keep on in the summer?

If Lowe is willing to be a squad player then I’d be willing to take him on a free but wouldn’t surprise me to see him ending up at Pompey again if they get promoted.

Same goes for Cullen and Pato we need to upgrade these positions for our starting 11 decent options from the bench but shouldn’t be starting so if they’d be willing to be squad players then I’d offer new contracts.

Placheta seems decent at times but his finishing has been shocking, free agent in the summer.

Unfortunately as good as Allen has been at times his injury record hasn’t been great since coming back to us so I wouldn’t offer a new deal.

Walsh there’s a talented player there, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he picks another injury up in the next few games and calls time on his career unfortunately, no new deal.

Naughton fantastic servant for us been an absolute bargain for 5M all them years ago, unfortunately end of the road for him as well.

Out of the loans Rushworth is the only one I would bring back.

Upgrade on Yates, Cullen, Pato, Fulton.

If Lowe is willing to be a squad player then I’d be willing to take him on a free but wouldn’t surprise me to see him ending up at Pompey again if they get promoted.

Same goes for Cullen and Pato we need to upgrade these positions for our starting 11 decent options from the bench but shouldn’t be starting so if they’d be willing to be squad players then I’d offer new contracts.

Placheta seems decent at times but his finishing has been shocking, free agent in the summer.

Unfortunately as good as Allen has been at times his injury record hasn’t been great since coming back to us so I wouldn’t offer a new deal.

Walsh there’s a talented player there, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he picks another injury up in the next few games and calls time on his career unfortunately, no new deal.

Naughton fantastic servant for us been an absolute bargain for 5M all them years ago, unfortunately end of the road for him as well.

There's half a dozen who can go IMO.

Cooper needs to be moved on too, shame because I really thought we had a playmaker in the making last season but he's gone backwards at a rate of knots, Joey wouldn't be worth another season imo but I think they will give him another 12 months, would like to see the back of Fisher but can't see anyone stupid enough to take him off our hands, same with Yates and Fulton...

Realistically, next year's team is likely to look something like:

GK: Rushworth if he comes back. If not, NEW SIGNING
RB: Key
LB: Tymon
CB: Wood - Let's face it, unless we sell him, he's staying and he'll be in the team (See Grimes also)
CB: NEW SIGNING - Part of me thinks LW will go with Darling due to his 'goal threat', but I still think we'll freshen things up at CB.
CM: Grimes - does anyone really think he won't be captain and first name on the team sheet next season?
CM: NEW SIGNING - Think this will be a priority for the recruitment spreadsheet
AM: NEW SIGNING - as above. Pato might stay, but I think we'll be looking to bring in better
LW: NEW SIGNING - I think we will offer Placheta a deal, but I think we'll also look for a player with more goal threat
RW: Ronald
ST: NEW SIGNING

So anyone not named above is dispensable to some degree. Some activity will depend on whether we can move on some dead wood like Pedersen, Yates and Fulton or not.

I'd give Allen a 1 year deal if the money was right and his body is up for it.

Last edited:

CB: Wood - Let's face it, unless we sell him, he's staying and he'll be in the team (See Grimes also)
CB: NEW SIGNING - Part of me thinks LW will go with Darling due to his 'goal threat', but I still think we'll freshen things up at CB.
CM: Grimes - does anyone really think he won't be captain and first name on the team sheet next season?
AM: NEW SIGNING - as above. Pato might stay, but I think we'll be looking to bring in better
LW: NEW SIGNING - I think we will offer Placheta a deal, but I think we'll also look for a player with more goal threat

So anyone not named above is dispensable to some degree. Some activity will depend on whether we can move on some dead wood like Pedersen, Yates and Fulton or not.

That's a lot of NEW. I hope we have more luck with the NEW of 2024 than we did with the 2023 bunch.

Abit harsh on Darling, probably the only player id say who has enhanced his reputation from last season. Id make him captain aswel.

Agree with everything there. Few additions- for me, Cullen and Naughton to be offered new deals and looking forward to seeing Ginnelly and Parker next year.

Out of the players mentioned in your post, the only ones I'd like to retain are Lowe, Cullen, Placheta and Rushworth.

I would go into the summer working on the basis that no one is safe and everyone of them is potentially up for sale, apart from Ronald, and Ginnelly and Key (who deserve a chance to prove themselves further after suffering badly with injuries). Anyone else - if we get a decent bid, sell. None of them will be a big loss on the pitch. Make selling the real dross (Yates, Myk, Fulton) a priority.

Make Rushworth a permanent because he's class and has been worth 10 points to us this season.

I wouldn't give any of the out of contract players another deal - they're either too injury prone, too hot and cold, or just plain not good enough. Thanks for your service and bye.

All the loans can go back to parent clubs - none of them have done enough.

I'd put an end to the insanity of flooding the squad with sub standard loans - ideally only one next season, two at an absolute push, but no more.

Start building a squad based on permanent signings - be that on a free or for affordable fees. Use the wage savings or sale fees identified above to fund this.

Finally, start putting more faith in our academy. Let's promote up to 5 of our youngsters to the first team and show some faith in them. For every Shaun McDonald, we might find another Ben Davies. Better that, than another half arsed PL academy loanee who wants to go home by Christmas.

You never know - freshening it up to this extent might even shake up some of the existing players who have avoided the cull.

Goalkeeper-New signing(hopefully Rushworth) Fisher

Full backs-Key, Parker, Abdullai, Tymon, Tjoe a on, Pedersen

Centre backs-New signing, Wood, Darling, Cabango

Holding midfield-Grimes, Fulton, 2 x New signings

Attacking midfield 2 x New signings

Wingers-Ronald, Ginnelly, 2x New signings

Strikers-Yates, Cullen, Mykolo, New signing

All 1st teamers under contract, not including loan players and ones out of contract.
It's going to be another busy summer but one where we have a clearer picture than last summer.
Centre half-holding mid-attacking mid and Striker......the main core is needed.

If we could get McBurnie through the door that would be pivotal in my opinion.

Think this is pretty much spot on as to what we need, and hopefully, what will happen.

Our defence is a bit odd, as on paper, Key - Darling - Wood - Tymon is a really solid, young back four, but we conced goals like there's no tomorrow so something should change. Agree that LW will keep Darling, but more so because he's our best defender this season. Cabango is a very good squad player at this level, but we'd need cover for Key if Naughton leaves, and who knows what's happening with Ogbeta? Seems the ideal rotation left back, but feels like he'll be binned off without a chance.

Grimes is the only midfielder I'd keep as anything more than a squad player. He gets his shit (fairly, at times) but there's no-one in the league like him, and there's a reason he's been first-choice for five managers in a row.

Pato I'd keep for a year as a rotation AM/Winger, he's an experienced head and a smarter player than people make out.

Cooper, no idea anymore. Had an awful year, too old to be loaning out, might be worth keeping for another year to see if he can refind his form, but if not, he'll go. If Allen wants it, let him stay a year, we're a young squad so he's useful to have around.

Fulton will be impossible to ship off so sense he'll be hanging around next year. Congreve maybe come back into the mix with Abdullai as young midfielders? Leaves us in a position where we'll have a bloated squad for that position as well as needing to strengthen, I sense Patino will be the only one leaving.

I'd sign Placheta for another season, he's super direct and has shown more than enough to be here next season. Probably our best player on the left-hand of a three, so silly to get rid of him. Wouldn't start him every game, but wouldn't go out of my way to spend big on a replacement, he's a perfectly good rotation player in the Championship.

Get someone in to help Ronald and Govea on the right, both young and pacey, direct wingers, could do with a smarter, Routledge-esque inside forward to shake things up a bit, offer another dimension.

Strikers - Get rid of them all. I have a liking of Myko purely because I feel bad for him never getting a game, so would be happy for him to stay, but Yates, Cullen and Lowe aren't good enough to start as first choice. Yates will likely attract some interest because of his Blackpool days - and I think there is probably a decentish striker in there somewhere - but Cullen hasn't ever been good enough and wins fans over because of his homegrown nature. Lowe would be an alright backup, but on high wages and will likely return to Portsmouth when they come up.

All out of contract can hopefully move on to pastures new with best wishes.
Make Lowe an offer.
Sign a permanent keeper, striker, winger and central midfielder.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back