• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Swans Youngsters

Pontyjack

First Team Player
Reaction score
6 of our youngsters played a half of yesterday’s friendly versus Haverfordwest - Webb, Abdulai, Coterill, Joe Thomas, Josh Thomas and Lloyd.

For those of you that regularly watch the under 21s, do you think any of these are ready to be considered as regular members of the first team squad ?

I haven’t included Congreve on the list as I akready regard him as a member of the first team squad given he’s played a few first team games now.

Josh Thomas seems to score goals for fun at that level so worth a go in the squad.
Heard Abdulai is a tidy midfielder

I know it's pre season but some of that finishing yesterday was very woeful.

Liam Smith who joined last season looks the most ready to have Congreve-like involvement. All of them (maybe not Webb) are worth involving though, as that's the simplest way for them to become ready. Clubs don't line up to take Swansea City youth on loan, we have to show faith and set the groundwork for senior football first. The biggest issue is that we have the most talent in positions where we're overloaded. Abdulai, Cotterill and Lloyd all want to be in that 8 to 10 area half our squad prefers.

Yes, midfield looks quite congested in the number of players we have there. I guess wing back would be the easiest position to break through if someone wants to make that position their own.

Of the lot Josh Thomas and Abdulai seem to be the most highly rated with Lloyd not far behind them playing a position in a similar vein to Grimes/Downes/Allen as the sort of connecting midfield conductor that our play styles normally are highly dependent on.

bakajack said:
Of the lot Josh Thomas and Abdulai seem to be the most highly rated with Lloyd not far behind them playing a position in a similar vein to Grimes/Downes/Allen as the sort of connecting midfield conductor that our play styles normally are highly dependent on.

Josh Thomas and Abdulai are a few years older than Cotterill and Lloyd who were fast-tracked past u18s football last season and would probably be the two in the academy the highest hopes have been pinned on (given Evan Watts injury troubles). Cotterill is already u21s captain and is the most Grimes/Allen-like of the lot. Lloyd is more of a Ramsey imo, not quite a box to box, not quite a number 10. May drop deeper in the next few years (as Byers did) or perhaps even a Manning replacement if Duff likes what he sees of him in the next few weeks.

Lot of pressure on these lads if the aim is to have a conveyor belt through the academy to save money on signings. Realistically, we can’t expect many to make the 1st team. It’d be nice to unearth another Joey or Joe Rodon though.

jasper_T said:
Josh Thomas and Abdulai are a few years older than Cotterill and Lloyd who were fast-tracked past u18s football last season and would probably be the two in the academy the highest hopes have been pinned on (given Evan Watts injury troubles). Cotterill is already u21s captain and is the most Grimes/Allen-like of the lot. Lloyd is more of a Ramsey imo, not quite a box to box, not quite a number 10. May drop deeper in the next few years (as Byers did) or perhaps even a Manning replacement if Duff likes what he sees of him in the next few weeks.

Fair enough, I thought I remembered the one first team game Lloyd played in (the cup win against Reading as a cameo I think?) he came on for Grimes. My memory might be tricking me in my old age though.

Cotterill sounds hugely promising from what you have said there, we have seen the difference between players who could get that defensive midfield conductor role very right (Britton) and those who got it very wrong (Mesa though I believe he has rebuilt his career elsewhere) and everywhere in between (Grimes for me feels like a 7 out of 10 Brittons for that position, he very occasionally gives a performance where he dominates the midfield and feels as much as a 9 out of 10 Brittons but they are few and far between. He is usually a very consistent 7 however)

Hoping that Congreve gets a look in under Duff, has a lot of potential, heard he needs to buckle down though...

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Lot of pressure on these lads if the aim is to have a conveyor belt through the academy to save money on signings. Realistically, we can’t expect many to make the 1st team. It’d be nice to unearth another Joey or Joe Rodon though.

The big money is either in footballing centre halves or prolific forwards these days - so I can see why perhaps there is a huge amount of hope on Josh Thomas to make it from the powers that be.

Besides everyone loves the dream of a home grown super scorer. The last one we had was ironically also called Thomas though his career was sadly cut short by injury but not before he saved us from almost certain non league oblivion

bakajack said:
Fair enough, I thought I remembered the one first team game Lloyd played in (the cup win against Reading as a cameo I think?) he came on for Grimes. My memory might be tricking me in my old age though.

Cotterill sounds hugely promising from what you have said there, we have seen the difference between players who could get that defensive midfield conductor role very right (Britton) and those who got it very wrong (Mesa though I believe he has rebuilt his career elsewhere) and everywhere in between (Grimes for me feels like a 7 out of 10 Brittons for that position, he very occasionally gives a performance where he dominates the midfield and feels as much as a 9 out of 10 Brittons but they are few and far between. He is usually a very consistent 7 however)

Funnily enough watched Mesa a few weeks ago playing for Valladolid against Barcelona, he was the stand out player in the first half, run out of puff in the second and was subbed off after 55 minutes.

Swanjaxs said:
Hoping that Congreve gets a look in under Duff, has a lot of potential, heard he needs to buckle down though...

May be a season loan with the right league 1 or league 2 club might do him good as it did with Cooper ? There are a few players in front of him so could be difficult to get consistent game time for the first team.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back