• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Steeltown Murders - BBC series

JustJack

Lee Trundle
Reaction score
4 part series starts tonight at 9pm on BBC 1

Really curious as to the memories/recollection of the posters on here who were local in that period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65556974

It follows the murder of three 16 year old girls in the area in the summer of 1973.

Going to watch this - should be very interesting.

Darran - your neck of the woods, what was the vibe around the pubs and clubs?

Back in 1973, the time of the first murder, I owned a “light” coloured 1100 style car. It was in fact a 1275 Vanden Plas which was Sherwood Green in colour but close enough for the police to get in touch and ask a few questions about my whereabouts on the evening concerned. Obviously I had been able to provide them with suitable answers and was not subject to further questioning. All owners of similar vehicles were questioned. So this program will bring back memories for me. I’m looking forward to it. Incidentally the link I’m posting from the BBC is written by a member of my wife’s family.
Apologies, didn’t realise it was the same link as earlier.

Muteswan said:
Back in 1973, the time of the first murder, I owned a “light” coloured 1100 style car. It was in fact a 1275 Vanden Plas which was Sherwood Green in colour but close enough for the police to get in touch and ask a few questions about my whereabouts on the evening concerned. Obviously I had been able to provide them with suitable answers and was not subject to further questioning. All owners of similar vehicles were questioned. So this program will bring back memories for me. I’m looking forward to it. Incidentally the link I’m posting from the BBC is written by a member of my wife’s family.
Apologies, didn’t realise it was the same link as earlier.

Thanks for that, really interesting, chap who wrote the article also covered the case in 1973

Why on earth was Sandra Newton going to walk 5 miles (at least 2 hours) home at that time of night?

stevethejack said:
Going to watch this - should be very interesting.

Darran - your neck of the woods, what was the vibe around the pubs and clubs?

I can’t remember it I’m not old enough.

First episode was OK

All are available on Iplayer as of tonight

Shocked the hell out of me at one point. When they talked about a sexual attack that crossed between two police jurisdictions. I think a girl was abducted in Neath in 1972 and taken to the park in Llangyfelach for the assault. I went to Llangyfelach Primary at that time and the park (checked on Google Earth) was just outside the corner of the play yard. Nothing more than that. Just weird hearing the name of my lovely little school mentioned on telly in such a context.

We watched it. I enjoy a bit of nostalgia but Christ it was harrowing in parts.

Last night's documentary seemed to tell the whole story. Presumably we now have a three part dramatisation? Stuff that.

Fair play to Philip Glenister, that's a very decent accent.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back