• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Smartmeters

Pentyrchjack

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
I’m a Luddite and haven’t yet got a smart meter.

I have got an old fashioned gas meter on an outside wall encased in a white fibreglass cabinet. The question I have is what happens to the old meter when a smart meter is installed and do they fit a new external cabinet (or leave it in the old one)?

Thanks

Ours was just replaced in situ.

I wish I hadn't had to but apparently one of our meters had reached the end of its life. No way would I volunteer. I don't trust them at all. I'm sure my usage went up after they were fitted and this month's (Nov 17th to Dec 16th) has just rocked in at £300, and I didn't have the heating on until 1 Dec. I just can't see how folk will manage. Meanwile the producers and suppliers rake it in.

monmouth said:
Ours was just replaced in situ.

I wish I hadn't had to but apparently one of our meters had reached the end of its life. No way would I volunteer. I don't trust them at all. I'm sure my usage went up after they were fitted and this month's (Nov 17th to Dec 16th) has just rocked in at £300, and I didn't have the heating on until 1 Dec. I just can't see how folk will manage. Meanwhile the producers and suppliers rake it in.

That's the biggest misnomer ever, if meter still goes round and reads it's working, its all about getting smart meters on the walls, its a numbers game literally.

Ive put off getting a smart meter despite EDFs repeated attempts. Not having to submit meter reads would be handy but I have a smart thermostat already and I cant be bothered with the mess. The previous owner boxed the meter in permanently so the only way of replacing it would mean ripping it all out and making good again afterwards... Naa

exiledclaseboy said:
I heard Max is a big fan of smart meters :lol: :x

Spent 6 yrs fitting the fuking things, hated fitting them and havev a complete loathing of the fuking things, over and out

They've given up asking me, I keep telling them no. From what ive read and heard, they are a right pain in the arse, so I'll stick with my old ones and a pen and paper ta very much. If that makes me dinosaur tidy.

If you have one, it'll drive you mad. It does me anyway, especially since the mahoosive price increases.

It mocks me every time i walk past it, the fucking thing.

Neath_Jack said:
If you have one, it'll drive you mad. It does me anyway, especially since the mahoosive price increases.

It mocks me every time i walk past it, the f*****g thing.
I've got an app for OVO, which is quite good to be fair, that's painful enough, never mind a plastic box in the corner of the room takin the p!$$.😫

How much is everyone paying per month? £168 here for both gas and electric. Which seems like I’ve got away lightly given some of the horror stories I’ve heard of the amounts people are being forced to pay.

exiledclaseboy said:
How much is everyone paying per month? £168 here for both gas and electric. Which seems like I’ve got away lightly given some of the horror stories I’ve heard of the amounts people are being forced to pay.
£140 atm, bit light, but I'm keeping an eye on both, may have to increase sooner rather than later mind.🤬

Neath_Jack said:

It mocks me every time i walk past it, the f*****g thing.

That's the monitor which are not smart, most are like Prosser fuking useless, the meters are smart meters, as in they meter your usage, monitors are just for the customer to advise them on usage, the meters gas and electric are the most important part of the system, when they work that is of course.

exiledclaseboy said:

£146 after the 67 is taken off. They reckon that will do it on my previous usage. As long as we don’t get many of those cold snaps. I did have £500 built up over the year (sorry Max).

Can't have a gas SM because the meter is in the cellar and it can't link with the electricity one, but no complaints from me. Paying £133 a month not including any rebates (up from just under £100 before the worst of this started) and my last bill in November had me nearly £500 in credit, again not including the discounts.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back