• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Prostate Cancer

Pacemaker

Alan Waddle
Reaction score
A bit of news today in relation to Ian Walsh and previously fairly recently Curt being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, it’s a disgrace that the tests for Prostate Cancer is not a normal annual test for every male once he gets to that time of life.

I just wanted to add my experience as someone diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

I am a fairly fit guy but started having prostate issues during Covid and found it virtually impossible to get any treatment or tests done at that time. Eventually my symptoms were so severe that I couldn’t sleep as i was back and fore to the toilet at best at worst totally incontinent.

I was not overweight, a non-smoker, a fairly light drinker, i was above average fitness and no other health issues.

I eventually got to see a Consultant and had to use a catheter twice a day first thing at morning and last thing at night which sorted out my bladder issues but my PSA score was still high. I then got an UTI as a result of using the catheter and contracted Sepsis and genuinely thought i was dying. I eventually paid to go private much against my principles and had a TURP procedure where my prostate was trimmed to relieve pressure on my Uretha and prevent the use of the catheter.

The operation was a complete success I immediately felt much better and complete control of my bladder, a month later my consultant rang me, i thought this was to see how i was recovering, however it was to let me know that the biopsy of the prostate had identified an aggressive form of cancer and i had prostate cancer and needed treatment.

It was a very strange feeling moving from relief and elation to the thought i could possibly die and i needed treatment urgently, i have other issues which prevent me from having MRI or CT scans so therefore the options available to me were limited. The nurses from Prostate Cancer UK charity were superb and gave me so much support and information. I would recommend making contact with them even if you have no symptoms but have concerns about yourself or a loved one.

The decision as to what happens next is left to you to decide there are many options and it feels overwhelming at times. I decided to have a radical Prostatectomy ie that the Prostate is completely removed. It was major surgery and has worked out for me i am now free from Cancer at the moment, the side effects have mostly been resolved.

The reason for this post is that many of my friends of my age have never had a check by their GP and are too embarrassed to ask for one, it should be something that all men should insist on and if Prostate Cancer is caught early it has a high success rate.

Don’t leave it to late guys go and get a check and live to spend time with your love ones.

Of a certain age where NHS / Screening Services ask me to supply a stool sample so they can check my condition .

The wimp in me comes out , scared of doing this simple task , I struggle to do it .

Realise this check could save my life later , but , to me a challenge .

Good luck to Pacemaker too . My Sister had breast removal and reconstruction a few years back .
Still going strong to this day thankfully

Robbie said:
Of a certain age where NHS / Screening Services ask me to supply a stool sample so they can check my condition .

The wimp in me comes out , scared of doing this simple task , I struggle to do it .

Realise this check could save my life later , but , to me a challenge .

Yep, me too Stupid ain't it? They have sent me a reminder as well, I'm like ah fu*k I don't want any bad news before Christmas, and it goes on, and on, Once it get's past Chrimbo, it will be like, I do not want any bad news before the summer,

Wishing you the best of luck my friend ❤️

Best wishes to you Pacy, I remember you telling me of your illness a few months ago and your spirits were high and you was very positive about it all fair play, not sure I would be in that situation, an uncle of mine suffered for yrs and yrs with the same condition and a lot of his treatments were experimental back then sadly, treatments have come on tremendously in the years that have past, but its still a very serious awful condition.

Keep up your positive spirits, Pacy :D

I only posted this because most men as illustrated above tend to ignore or put off health checks, women tend to get annual tests or requests to attend clinics for all sorts of examination.

None of which are probably pleasant but they get them done to ensure they remain alive to look after us feckless males in the most part.

I have had all sorts of things done to me over the last two years but all the nurses, doctors and support staff were brilliant they dealt with things in such a matter of fact way that you couldn’t feel embarrassed.

If your GP isn’t asking you in for a test once you reach your fifties then you probably need to ask why, i realise now that my symptoms started in my mid fifties and i ignored them until I couldn’t ignore it any longer. I am 62 now and hope to be around for a bit yet. Just like mental health has now been accepted to be “not ok” and taken seriously we should also take our general health and particularly our prostate seriously.

I came across men much younger than me who were dying from Prostate Cancer in the most part because they ignored the symptoms and didn’t see a Dr until it was too late, it was shocking to hear a man in his 30’s tell me the cancer had come back and there was not a lot that could be done now as he had left to late in the first place.

Don’t be embarrassed to go and ask for a test or you could literally die of embarrassment.

Take care friends.

Pacemaker said:
I only posted this because most men as illustrated above tend to ignore or put off health checks, women tend to get annual tests or requests to attend clinics for all sorts of examination.

None of which are probably pleasant but they get them done to ensure they remain alive to look after us feckless males in the most part.

I have had all sorts of things done to me over the last two years but all the nurses, doctors and support staff were brilliant they dealt with things in such a matter of fact way that you couldn’t feel embarrassed.

If your GP isn’t asking you in for a test once you reach your fifties then you probably need to ask why, i realise now that my symptoms started in my mid fifties and i ignored them until I couldn’t ignore it any longer. I am 62 now and hope to be around for a bit yet. Just like mental health has now been accepted to be “not ok” and taken seriously we should also take our general health and particularly our prostate seriously.

I came across men much younger than me who were dying from Prostate Cancer in the most part because they ignored the symptoms and didn’t see a Dr until it was too late, it was shocking to hear a man in his 30’s tell me the cancer had come back and there was not a lot that could be done now as he had left to late in the first place.

Don’t be embarrassed to go and ask for a test or you could literally die of embarrassment.

Take care friends.

Brilliant advice Pacy, I've had previous PSA blood tests and luckily for me they've come back negative, I'll continue to get checked though, I'm 63 next month so I realise how important it is to keep up to date with the necessary tests.

Stay strong.

Do the stool sample and do it now!

I have annual colonoscopies now so I don’t need to do it any more. isn’t a barrel of laughs but it’s crucial. It’s just a bit of your own shit FFS.

Do it today. Trust me.

J_B said:
Do the stool sample and do it now!

I have annual colonoscopies now so I don’t need to do it any more. isn’t a barrel of laughs but it’s crucial. It’s just a bit of your own s**t FFS.

Do it today. Trust me.

They haven't sent me one this year I don't think, I've done them in the past.

TheLoneRanger said:
They're about 6 months behind because of Covid.

Ring 0800 294 3370, and they'll tell you when you'll receive your next test kit.

Cheers LoneRanger.

Very good post by Pacemaker.

Just to add how important it is not to ignore things.

I was struggling a bit but put it down to just getting older.

Anyway March 2019 it got much worse and an emergency doctor sent my to A&E.

Scan there showed a stone and even though I asked about the size of the prostate was told no ok and the stone would pass.

Cutting the story short for the next week I was in agony and again went to A&E where they said enlarged prostate and inserted a catheter and admitted me for 3 days while side effects settled.

Put me on tablets to either shrink the prostate or at least help me pee.

No good. After 3 months they said another scan showed that the prostate had closed up and double over on the urethra.

So it had to be an op. Of course there was a waiting list, and for the following 3 months I had a catheter which unfortunately kept bursting due to bladder stones and 12 visits to A&E on one occasion twice in a day. No way could I insert one myself as due to the doubling over even trained staff struggled.

Just like Pacemaker I decided to go private in December had a Holep procedure which is laser removal of tissue inside the prostate.

All went well and tests came back that there was no cancer.

Bit longwinded I know but if you have any doubts get checked out (with anything) as some things can get sorted by medication before things get worse.

Men don't tend to talk about things like this, but since I've had it it's surprising how many I know have had similar issues and delayed and not talked about it.

It won't happen to me is a fallacy, none of us are immune so again any doubt, DO SOMETHING DON'T WAIT

3swan said:
Very good post by Pacemaker.

Just to add how important it is not to ignore things.

I was struggling a bit but put it down to just getting older.

Anyway March 2019 it got much worse and an emergency doctor sent my to A&E.

Scan there showed a stone and even though I asked about the size of the prostate was told no ok and the stone would pass.

Cutting the story short for the next week I was in agony and again went to A&E where they said enlarged prostate and inserted a catheter and admitted me for 3 days while side effects settled.

Put me on tablets to either shrink the prostate or at least help me pee.

No good. After 3 months they said another scan showed that the prostate had closed up and double over on the urethra.

So it had to be an op. Of course there was a waiting list, and for the following 3 months I had a catheter which unfortunately kept bursting due to bladder stones and 12 visits to A&E on one occasion twice in a day. No way could I insert one myself as due to the doubling over even trained staff struggled.

Just like Pacemaker I decided to go private in December had a Holep procedure which is laser removal of tissue inside the prostate.

All went well and tests came back that there was no cancer.

Bit longwinded I know but if you have any doubts get checked out (with anything) as some things can get sorted by medication before things get worse.

Men don't tend to talk about things like this, but since I've had it it's surprising how many I know have had similar issues and delayed and not talked about it.

It won't happen to me is a fallacy, none of us are immune so again any doubt, DO SOMETHING DON'T WAIT

Thank you for sharing, and also Pacemaker.

Using my brain, I think how can I be so stupid, not to get anything bothersome checked out, I think how can I be so stupid to hide and put away the bowel test, I think if I ignore it, and the worst happens, I picture myself laying in a hospital bed, and some doctor saying, that it could have been prevented.. I know it is so stupid, maybe it's the fact I like thinking I am fit as ferk and there is nothing wrong with me, of course once a doctor casts their beady eye over you, they may something different.

Great posts chaps, it is so ferking silly why we ignore this. And I'm guilty as hell of ignoring major go and see a doctor signs.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back