• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Players' awards evening (1st May)

LeonWasTheDogs

First Team Player
Reaction score
Otherwise known as the 'who we are going to sell in the summer' list.

It's been a season to forget, but who do we reckon deserves a nod in the annual awards? Manning won player of the season last year and Piroe the year before.

I'm struggling to think of anyone for this year. Best I can come up with is Tymon for most improved (which probably isn't even a category). Ronald - best newcomer?

Rushworth has been the one shinning light on a very dim season. It's just a shame he's not one of ours.
Yes, he's had a reasonable season. My lad tells me he wants to stay for next season. Whether that's true or, more likely, there's a chance of it is another matter.

This will go down like a bucket of cold sick on here, but I think Matt Grimes has had a solid season as well. Steady, dependable, reliable. He keeps us ticking over.

Rushworth has been the one shinning light on a very dim season. It's just a shame he's not one of ours.
Yes, Rushworth probably player of the season for me. Ok, we've won our last 3 games but before the Stoke game, we were hovering only 4 or 5 points above the drop zone and arguably, those 4 or 5 points could well be attributed to Rushworth - even when you deduct 1 for his howler at home against 'Boro.

Yes, he's had a reasonable season. My lad tells me he wants to stay for next season. Whether that's true or, more likely, there's a chance of it is another matter.

This will go down like a bucket of cold sick on here, but I think Matt Grimes has had a solid season as well. Steady, dependable, reliable. He keeps us ticking over.
I'd love to see him stay for another season.

Grimes certainly divides opinion, I'm with you though and think he's a very decent player for us.

Yes, Rushworth probably player of the season for me. Ok, we've won our last 3 games but before the Stoke game, we were hovering only 4 or 5 points above the drop zone and arguably, those 4 or 5 points could well be attributed to Rushworth - even when you deduct 1 for his howler at home against 'Boro.
If he keeps progressing at the rate he is, the lad has a very bright future in front of him.

Never lets his head drop if he makes a mistake, a lot of keepers have crumbled in the past.

I'd love to see him stay for another season.

Grimes certainly divides opinion, I'm with you though and think he's a very decent player for us.
I think one thing this season has most definitely shown is that Grimes' performances depend massively on who plays alongside him. When Allen plays, Grimes not only plays much better, he also plays further forward and pulls the strings where they need pulling but when Allen doesn't play, Grimes sits back and his contribution is nowhere near as effective so we end up with our dull, unimaginative, pedestrian version of football. I think most fans can see this and what we achieve next season depends very much on how the management and coaching staff address this problem. If they don't address it, the situation could possibly be worse than this season because the number of games Allen will play is a completely unknown quantity so could be fewer than this season. It could be more but you can't base your whole team strategy for the forthcoming season on that.

I've certainly seen a shift in his performances since Williams has been in charge.

When the likes of Fulton play in the middle with him, it has a massive impact on his performance, it's almost like he's doing the work of two.

Also comes back to the old adage that 5 five manager who know considerable more than any of us have constantly picked him week in week out.

I've always thought that Grimes was one of those central midfield players who quietly ticks along when in a strong team, giving consistent 7 out of 10 performances while doing all the little things that help the better players alongside him tick. Unfortunately his limitations are exposed when the team he's in isn't very good and he needs to do more.

Rushworth Grimes and Tymon are the only three realistic options, which says it all. Rushworth has done no more than you’d expect of a competent goalkeeper (our expectations have been lowered previously) and his distribution (Saturdays kick aside) has lurched between frightening and woeful. Grimes has often been as much a problem as a solution, and Tymon is a half finished player that is improving well.

Rushworth for me, but what a year it’s been. Yet we’ll probably finish with a pretty much par “Martin”.

I've always thought that Grimes was one of those central midfield players who quietly ticks along when in a strong team, giving consistent 7 out of 10 performances while doing all the little things that help the better players alongside him tick. Unfortunately his limitations are exposed when the team he's in isn't very good and he needs to do more.
I think that’s absolutely spot on. He does a lot of the hard graft that maybe doesn’t get noticed, but he’s not going to change a game very often.

Rushworth Grimes and Tymon are the only three realistic options, which says it all. Rushworth has done no more than you’d expect of a competent goalkeeper (our expectations have been lowered previously) and his distribution (Saturdays kick aside) has lurched between frightening and woeful. Grimes has often been as much a problem as a solution, and Tymon is a half finished player that is improving well.

Rushworth for me, but what a year it’s been. Yet we’ll probably finish with a pretty much par “Martin”.

Yep, an utterly forgettable season except for battering Cardiff again.

Kyle Naughton deserves an Outstanding Contribution Award for his service and impact. This will surely be his last season.

Swansea City v Millwall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back