• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Oli is off to Qatar after all

• Thread starter J_B
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 13
  • Views: Views 5,434

J_B

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Swansea City midfielder Ollie Cooper will travel to Qatar with the Wales World Cup squad.

The 22-year-old will be a travelling standby for the 26-man squad, and he will join clubmates Joe Allen and Ben Cabango on the flight to Qatar for the tournament on Tuesday.

The Swans academy product has enjoyed an outstanding breakthrough season at Championship level, scoring three goals and claiming an assist in 16 league appearances.

His call-up to the travelling party makes him the seventh player to come through the Swans academy pathway who will be heading to the global showpiece.

In addition to Cooper, Allen and Cabango; Connor Roberts, Joe Rodon, Ben Davies and Daniel James are also Swansea City academy products.

Everyone at Swansea City wishes Ollie every success during his time with the national set-up in Qatar.

And so he should be. Realistically he should be in the 26 instead of Williams or Colwill, but there you go.

Great news for Oli that at least he gets to experience being around the team in a World Cup, even if he doesn't get to play.

But why wasn't this announced alongside the other two who are travelling as standbys? I'd guess that the club have been in touch with the FAW in the last couple of days about Oli.

Was it just because there was a spare space now?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-ollie-cooper-now-25494272

"Fulham youngster Luke Harris had also been set to travel, but has now pulled out due to personal reasons."

On form he should have been in the squad, are we going for the holiday? or giving it a go?

3swan said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-citys-ollie-cooper-now-25494272

"Fulham youngster Luke Harris had also been set to travel, but has now pulled out due to personal reasons."

Yes. I hope Harris isn't now thinking of going over to England.

Ollie should be in the 26. This is a start at least. Squads can be changed up to 24 hours before our first game.

I wonder if Ollie's inclusion is as cover for a midfielder whose fitness is a doubt, such as Joe Allen. Joe hasn't played for 2 months and while I'm glad he's been included in the 26, there must be a question mark over his readiness to play 3 games in 8 days at WC level but who better to stand in than Ollie C? You never know.

3swan said:

That makes more sense, knocks my conspiracy theories on the head... :lol:

3swan said:

Been told to bide his time and wait for England to knock his door a knock that may never come, I expect.

Niigata Jack said:
Been told to bide his time and wait for England to knock his door a knock that may never come, I expect.

He needs to have a chat with Alfie Mawson :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

karnataka said:
I wonder if Ollie's inclusion is as cover for a midfielder whose fitness is a doubt, such as Joe Allen. Joe hasn't played for 2 months and while I'm glad he's been included in the 26, there must be a question mark over his readiness to play 3 games in 8 days at WC level but who better to stand in than Ollie C? You never know.

I assume Cooper will be cover for Colwill who is struggling and Jordan James is the cover for Allen

Cooper missing from the squad is a travesty which Page would do well to rectify.

When you look at some of the players taking up an attacking midfield birth ahead of him and their lack of game time, goals or assists you have to wonder what drugs Page has been taking.

Loyalty to the previous players is fair, but at the same time this is our first world cup for 56 years. Who knows when we will get another stab at it, you have to select with form and fitness in mind too.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back