• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Now let’s talk about Matthew Grimes.

Itchysphincter

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
As the Martin out saga has played out I’ve heard lots of talk of who he’ll take to Soton with him.

Grimes is a name that keeps coming up. Now as I have consistently been in a minority of one, regularly receiving pelters over the last five years or so due my unwavering support for our captain, am I correct in thinking that Matthew Grimes to Southampton was cause even bigger celebrations than Martin out?

Not from me… he’s vital to how we play… having someone like Walsh & Ntcham alongside him brings the best from his game.

I wouldn't want him to go, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't go with him.

RM has no real player contacts in the game so he will come raiding with his 3 year trebble your money contracts

Wouldn’t bother me in the least. He’s replaceable, plus his return on goals for a midfielder is p7ss poor.

Itchysphincter said:
As the Martin out saga has played out I’ve heard lots of talk of who he’ll take to Soton with him.

Grimes is a name that keeps coming up. Now as I have consistently been in a minority of one, regularly receiving pelters over the last five years or so due my unwavering support for our captain, am I correct in thinking that Matthew Grimes to Southampton was cause even bigger celebrations than Martin out?

Not from me. He's a very good player and rarely has a bad game.

Easily replaceable, the majority of his game consists of standing 5 yards in front of a teammate to receive a pass and passing it straight back to them. He isn't a leader on the pitch either.
If he had anything about him, someone else would have tried to sign him during the 8 years he's been here. By contrast, Downes was here for one season and got a move to a PL side

People must be off their heads if they think Grimes leaving is a good thingm, I'm sorry.

Most fans have divided opinions on certain players.
In my opinion he doesn't play every game because he's Krapp.
I was delighted when he signed an extension and will be equally as happy for him to stay.

He plays to orders and if he’s still here and we get a manager who encourages him to get forward more and create, I think we’ll see a different player.

Seven assists this season and at times he showed that he can split a defence. He needs to accept that the risk of losing possession to create chances is a risk worth taking.

J_B said:
He plays to orders and if he’s still here and we get a manager who encourages him to get forward more and create, I think we’ll see a different player.

Seven assists this season and at times he showed that he can split a defence. He needs to accept that the risk of losing possession to create chances is a risk worth taking.

I would agree were it not for our dodgy goalkeeper keeper and defence.

Never been an advocate of him being captain; I’ve never seen any evidence on the pitch that he can drag a team back when we’re struggling.

I do think he’s replaceable, but would be happy to see him stay because his comfort on the ball speaks for itself. He has the range of passing in his locker to not give the easy 2 yard pass sideways when there’s a better run being made further upfield that Martin has drilled into his skull.

I’d be dissapointed to see him go, but he’ll be Martins number 1 priority imo.

TerryPHELAN said:
Wouldn’t bother me in the least. He’s replaceable, plus his return on goals for a midfielder is p7ss poor.
Stupid comment he's an holding midfielder one the best in world Kanye only scored about 15 in his career roy kean 30 something,he's in there do a job and scoring goals ain't one them

Magic_Michu said:
Not from me… he’s vital to how we play… having someone like Walsh & Ntcham alongside him brings the best from his game.

Not from me either. I like him. I don't think some people recognise the work he puts in defensively on top of keeping us ticking over, and then throw in a reasonable deadball ability on top and I think we'd struggle to replace him. He's not in Leon's league, but he's perfectly good enough for this division and should be seen as one of our best players imo.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back