• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Matt Grimes

Swansea93

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
Swansea City captain Matt Grimes says he was sorry to see Russell Martin depart, but is looking forward to a "fresh start" under the new head coach

Martin left for Southampton this summer after two seasons in south Wales, with former Barnsley boss Michael Duff the new man in charge.

Grimes said on multiple occasions that he thought Martin was the best manager in the Championship.

The 28-year-old midfielder was even rumoured to follow Martin to St Mary's.

"I think it's a natural thing to link someone who has played almost every game under that manager to that manager, it happens all the time," Grimes told BBC Sport Wales.

"I have just carried on with my work to make sure I came back to pre-season fit and firing.

Obviously we were upset to see him [Martin] go, we thought he was a brilliant coach, he was brilliant with the lads and brilliant around the place.

"It's no secret how much I loved working under him, but football changes and you have to get on with it.

"Everyone is entitled to having a crack at any job they want.

"Southampton are a massive club, just relegated from the Premier League, so the squad and the fire power that they will have will be right up there with the best in the league, so I can fully understand his reasoning for wanting that challenge."

Obviously it's been a time of transition for the club, but we have gradually improved throughout pre-season," he said.

"The result at Reading, and the way we played, I think that was the best we have been, which is what you want in the build-up to the start of the season."

Every manager has got different ways of doing things and different approaches, and we will be looking to execute the best versions of ourselves," added Grimes.

"At Swansea City we always attempt to dominate the ball and be a possession-based team, that's who we are and what we thrive to be, but with a few tweaks here and there with the new manager.

Does make you wonder what RM will do to replicate his success ( cough* ) at Southampton and get more familiar faces in.

Allergic2Hoof said:
Sensible words. Doesnt sound like he's in a rush to follow RM

Lol.

He couldn’t have made it more clear he would love to follow Martin.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Lol.

Doesn't read as a come and get me tbh. Reads more like a pre written PR piece. Zero emotion.

Londonlisa2001 said:
Lol.

I agree, Lisa. It's patently obvious he's missing Martin, as much as he'd miss his mother's tit. 😂

"Obviously we were upset to see him [Martin] go, we thought he was a brilliant coach, he was brilliant with the lads and brilliant around the place.

"It's no secret how much I loved working under him, but football changes and you have to get on with it.

"Southampton are a massive club, just relegated from the Premier League, so the squad and the fire power that they will have will be right up there with the best in the league, so I can fully understand his reasoning for wanting that challenge.

Hi Russ, it's me Matt. Please come get me

It'll be interesting to see if Martin breaks the track record of previous Grimes managers who have shown precisely zero interest in signing him for their new clubs.

but football changes and you have to get on with it.

"Southampton are a massive club, just relegated from the Premier League, so the squad and the fire power that they will have will be right up there with the best in the league, so I can fully understand his reasoning for wanting that challenge."

He’s hoping for Martin to come in when JWP or Lavia leaves.

🤣 I reckon that is the most transparent, grovelling, boot licking begging letter of its type that I’ve ever seen.

Dr. Winston said:
It'll be interesting to see if Martin breaks the track record of previous Grimes managers who have shown precisely zero interest in signing him for their new clubs.

It is curious that 3 managers in a row have made him a mainstay of the team while here, pretty much first name on the team sheet, yet the previous two have not even been rumoured to be interested in signing him after moving on. Will Martin be the first? I'm going to guess not.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back