• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Issue with an old Samsung smart tv

Squarebear

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
I've got an old telly. It's "working" fine as a dumb tv but its smart options - which were ok ten years ago - are now lamentable.

The only apps I can load are:
BBC I-player
Netflix

If I got my hands on some kind of fire stick would I be able to load things like:
Channel four app (whatever it's called)
ITVX
Disney
Etc?

The apps get 'updated' and gradually older teles get bumped out of line, although 10 years is a little bit on the short side.

Have you tried a good ol factory reset? Or try and reinstall some apps.

The firestick itself will be fine but you'll have to do some research on whether it will load with the tele.

Actually BBC I-Player doesn't actually work (I can browse programs but not watch them). The apps I want (e.g. ITVX) aren't available on a tv as old as mine.

Thanks for the tip on checking the fire stick will work. Dammit. I really don't want to have to shell out for a new telly.

Squarebear said:
Actually BBC I-Player doesn't actually work (I can browse programs but not watch them). The apps I want (e.g. ITVX) aren't available on a tv as old as mine.

Thanks for the tip on checking the fire stick will work. Dammit. I really don't want to have to shell out for a new telly.

Can you download ITVX onto you phone and screen mirror onto your tv perhaps?

JustJack said:
The apps get 'updated' and gradually older teles get bumped out of line, although 10 years is a little bit on the short side.

Have you tried a good ol factory reset? Or try and reinstall some apps.

The firestick itself will be fine but you'll have to do some research on whether it will load with the tele.

Never heard of a firestick needing to be compatible. It’s just a hdmi input like a dvd player or Sky box. Sometimes you have to plug it in to the power socket if the usb on the tv doesn’t get to 5v but other that it’ll work in any tv with a hdmi input, and to answer the question - yes you can get all your apps and platforms on it.

Itchysphincter said:
Never heard of a firestick needing to be compatible. It’s just a hdmi input like a dvd player or Sky box. Sometimes you have to plug it in to the power socket if the usb on the tv doesn’t get to 5v but other that it’ll work in any tv with a hdmi input, and to answer the question - yes you can get all your apps and platforms on it.

IS THE CORRECT ANSWER!

Firestick would work but personally I would go for a chromecast. Has all of the apps on it now - really easy to use

Squarebear said:
I've got an old telly. It's "working" fine as a dumb tv but its smart options - which were ok ten years ago - are now lamentable.

The only apps I can load are:
BBC I-player
Netflix

If I got my hands on some kind of fire stick would I be able to load things like:
Channel four app (whatever it's called)
ITVX
Disney
Etc?

Shame about that, but this looks the reason, it's the way it is.

According to ITV, you can currently use ITVX on Samsung Smart TVs (from 2016 onwards) and Roku TVs, and you can also access the app using an Amazon Fire TV stick, FreeView Play, NOW TV, on iOS devices, iOS phones and tablets, Android phones and tablets and Sky Glass. Phew.

If you have an older Samsung Smart TV which has recently lost access to the ITV Hub, though, ITVX won’t be compatible with your device either, due to the upgraded content protection technology used on the new platform. You could get around this by using a device like a Fire stick or Chromecast to stream from the app to the TV.

You can use the same log-in details from your old ITV Hub account to access the free version of ITVX.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/itvx-start-date-prices-shows/

I suppose a firestick is your best option now, and I would recommend a 4k stick rather than ordinary one, just for IMO speed of the 4k stick, compared to non 4k, also if you can hang on a month or so, you will get the 4k dirt cheap compared to todays prices once prime day hits, or a sale day on amazon.

gadget1974 said:
Firestick would work but personally I would go for a chromecast. Has all of the apps on it now - really easy to use

Oh what? I read this about five minutes after stepping through the front door with a fire stick in my sweaty hand.

Haven't found a worthy-of-the-name free view app yet.

jack123 said:
Shame about that, but this looks the reason, it's the way it is.

I

I suppose a firestick is your best option now, and I would recommend a 4k stick rather than ordinary one, just for IMO speed of the 4k stick, compared to non 4k, also if you can hang on a month or so, you will get the 4k dirt cheap compared to todays prices once prime day hits, or a sale day on amazon.

And just by magic, they drop them a few days later, 39 quid for a 4k max stick nice price..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/fire-tv-stick-4k-max-streaming-device-wi-fi-6-alexa-voice-remote-includes-tv-controls/dp/B08MQZYSVC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2D7NVF1MKZOM&keywords=4k+fire+stick+max&qid=1683154703&sprefix=4k+fire+stick+%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-1

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back