• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Holidays

WxmJax

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
Some of you may be thinking of where to go on holiday next year. We're doing a 2 week Italian trip, 1 week based near Sorrento, the second around Lake Garda, 3 nights south of lake 4 to the north. It's stunning. More a sea than a lake. This is the view from our balcony. Definitely worth some consideration. There is so much to do, we've been using the hotels bikes to get around, as well as ferries and buses.

View attachment 16965784912457167588778409062951.jpg

WxmJax said:
Some of you may be thinking of where to go on holiday next year. We're doing a 2 week Italian trip, 1 week based near Sorrento, the second around Lake Garda, 3 nights south of lake 4 to the north. It's stunning. More a sea than a lake. This is the view from our balcony. Definitely worth some consideration. There is so much to do, we've been using the hotels bikes to get around, as well as ferries and buses.

16965784912457167588778409062951.jpg

A few years ago, me & the Mrs stayed at Peschiera on the southern shore of Garda and loved it there. We took a whole day trip by train from there right into Venice which was a really good idea!

A shout out for Garda Town. Quite central in terms of travel infrastructure for heading north or south. It’s also one of the larger towns so can easily keep you occupied for a week or ten days.

Where is your balcony shot taken from, Wxm?

We’re off to Cavtat next summer? Anyone been?

karnataka said:
A few years ago, me & the Mrs stayed at Peschiera on the southern shore of Garda and loved it there. We took a whole day trip by train from there right into Venice which was a really good idea!

Coincidence - I've just been advised by FB that at this precise moment, 11am 6th October, me & the mrs were in St Marks Square, Venice. :D

Have been tempted by Riva a few times but got put off by the faff of getting up there. Haven’t stayed north of Garda Town.

That's a beautiful spot. Me and Mrs have stayed twice in little village called Tignale on top of mountain on western edge of lake. Fantastic. Have taken the boat trip from Limone across the lake to Malcesini. One or two nice leather shops there just after the jetty on the way into the town, if you fancy getting a swish jacket for a reasonable price.

We stayed in Sirmione a few years ago and went around the lake on the boat. The lake was impressive as were a few of the towns including Malcesine.

We also had the best experience in Venice in the middle of Covid. Brilliant because it was so quiet in comparison to normal and we could travel around at ease. Our apartment was in Piazza st marco and we could take a bottle of fizz and beers and sit by one of the piano bars and no issues because it was so quiet.

ATTACH]

WxmJax said:

16965784912457167588778409062951.jpg
Nice mate, love Italy. Few years back we decided on Lake Maggiore, toss of a coin really. Really enjoyed, Garda looks stunning. We were in Portofino just before Covid struck, that's well worth a visit, if you're over the north west coast. Enjoy the rest of your trip.🌞👍

Lovely. I’ve not been to Garda other than to go past the south end of the lake when we took the train from Venice to Paris, via Milan and the Bernini Express through the Swiss Alps. I’m another one who loves Italy. We’ve been to Tuscany a couple of times, camping in Umbria, Florence, Venice, a road trip through the north, and when I was younger I went skiing in the Italian Alps.

I quite fancy Liguria at some point. The coastal scenery looks brilliant. Doing more stuff in the south is on the list as well.

LeonWasTheDog's said:
Doing more stuff in the south is on the list as well.

I go to Bari every six weeks or so. City outskirts are a proper dump, but old town and downtown are lovely. Loads of places south of there, Lecce is beautiful for a weekend, or longer if you use it as a base. Stunning scenery inland as well. I have promised my wife that we will do ten days at some point, pick up a hire car and move around with three or four base points.

Seems like a holiday with lots and lots of walking are the order of the day, looking at architecture and historic buildings, not for us, we much prefer a beach type holiday, lots of relaxation and indulgence :D

Cooperman said:
A shout out for Garda Town. Quite central in terms of travel infrastructure for heading north or south. It’s also one of the larger towns so can easily keep you occupied for a week or ten days.

Where is your balcony shot taken from, Wxm?

We’re off to Cavtat next summer? Anyone been?

Been to Croatia 7 times, different resort everytime and we love it, but Cavtat is my favourite,two and half hour flight, 20 minute transfer, nice and peaceful, good restaraunts, great walks, lovely people,not sure about nightlife as it's not our thing.There are frequent water buses to Dubrovnik which take about 30 minutes which are well worth a day out
However, we stayed in Korcula Island, the other side of Dubrovnik a couple of years back and spent a day back in Cavtat and it is expanding rapidly and although it hadn't happened at the time, some places seem to lose their identity with expansion, I hope this doesnt happen there
My mate and his missus went there about a month ago, his fifth time, they love it

alltjack said:
Been to Croatia 7 times, different resort everytime and we love it, but Cavtat is my favourite,two and half hour flight, 20 minute transfer, nice and peaceful, good restaraunts, great walks, lovely people,not sure about nightlife as it's not our thing.There are frequent water buses to Dubrovnik which take about 30 minutes which are well worth a day out
However, we stayed in Korcula Island, the other side of Dubrovnik a couple of years back and spent a day back in Cavtat and it is expanding rapidly and although it hadn't happened at the time, some places seem to lose their identity with expansion, I hope this doesnt happen there
My mate and his missus went there about a month ago, his fifth time, they love it
Thanks for that, much appreciated. My wife picked it and she also described it as small and quaint, but with Dubrovnik within reach. We will head to Dubrovnik for a day, but I’m generally not a fan of crowded resorts. Sirmione (on Lake Garda) is mentioned above, that’s like Dubrovnik of Garda. It was mental when we went there and I’m pleased that we chose to stay somewhere else.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back