• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Does anyone use Hello Fresh or Craft Gin Club?

Pegojack

Alan Curtis
Reaction score
I sometimes see telly adverts for the above services and struggle to believe they can be financially viable.
Does anyone really need the ingredients for their dinner delivered to them in a cardboard box, with a printed card telling them how to make it (chop up the onion, fry it in some oil, etc, etc)?
Can people seriously not pop down to the shop and buy a bottle of gin, a bottle of tonic, a lemon and a packet of crisps? Presumably the box doesn't contain ice cubes, so the lazy feckers will have to go to the fridge for themselves.
But seriously? Are modern Brits so lazy, or clueless, or both, and have money to waste?
Tell me.

Pegojack said:
I sometimes see telly adverts for the above services and struggle to believe they can be financially viable.
Does anyone really need the ingredients for their dinner delivered to them in a cardboard box, with a printed card telling them how to make it (chop up the onion, fry it in some oil, etc, etc)?
Can people seriously not pop down to the shop and buy a bottle of gin, a bottle of tonic, a lemon and a packet of crisps? Presumably the box doesn't contain ice cubes, so the lazy feckers will have to go to the fridge for themselves.
But seriously? Are modern Brits so lazy, or clueless, or both, and have money to waste?
Tell me.

Yes, they will. I can't fathom it out myself, same applies to people that use just eat, deliveroo ect..

If we are not getting highly ripped off already, step right up, just eat and the like just to rip you off just a little bit more. And of course these business models, are very successful

Ps Sorry for the excessive edits, for some reason I chose to call one of the delivery companies Uber. :lol:

We have tried Gousto a few times when there has been an offer on. I don’t think it represents good value at normal price, but for some it’s about the convenience of it. The food was decent both in terms of quality and portion size (chicken massaman curry was particularly good).

Wow, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I read that, I thought you were the Gordon Ramsey on this board? Apparently not!!! any decent cook would never buy rubbish like this.

You can say offer on or whatever, but it's basically them sending the ingredients, and then telling you how to cook it.

Overpriced Garbage IMO

jack123 said:
Wow, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I read that, I thought you were the Gordon Ramsey on this board? Apparently not!!! any decent cook would never buy rubbish like this.

You can say offer on or whatever, but it's basically them sending the ingredients, and then telling you how to cook it.

Overpriced Garbage IMO

It’s precisely that. I’ll repeat what I said, at normal price it feels overpriced and is there for convenience. Some working families need that convenience. It’s far from crap quality though, they won’t survive by selling rubbish.

Cooperman said:
It’s precisely that. I’ll repeat what I said, at normal price it feels overpriced and is there for convenience. Some working families need that convenience. It’s far from crap quality though, they won’t survive by selling rubbish.

No need to repeat it, I know exactly what you said in the previous post, I mean don't take this the wrong way, wff are you on about with convenience? It's just basically giving the ingredients to people, and then charging a grossly over inflated price for doing so.

jack123 said:
No need to repeat it, I know exactly what you said in the previous post, I mean don't take this the wrong way, wff are you on about with convenience? It's just basically giving the ingredients to people, and then charging a grossly over inflated price for doing so.

There will be folk out there, juggling careers and families, and without the time to do a two hour shop during the week. That’s the target audience. Some folk are prepared to pay the price, you’re obviously not.

We’ve never used it Pego despite it being a German company. Read somewhere that they see massive potential in Asia especially Japan. Something for stressed individuals in a city environment I think.

I've used Gousto and Hello Fresh once each and I cook a lot of meals. It was about getting some new recipes and trying some new things. Some of the recipes were really good and we still make them, buying the ingredients ourselves.

I had never tried a Moqueca (Brazilian fish stew) before for example. Then had it via Gousto and now make it quite often.

As others said, not great value for money, but convenient and a chance to try some new meals. Not really the same as paying Just Eat to get a pizza delivered.

Cooperman said:
There will be folk out there, juggling careers and families, and without the time to do a two hour shop during the week. That’s the target audience. Some folk are prepared to pay the price, you’re obviously not.

No, I am definitely not.

Hmm 2 hour shop you say? Come on now.. How long would it take even for a family of four to get the shopping in, I have done it in under 35 minutes.

I'm not even sure where you are going with this? It seems quite simple, they pay over the odds for ingredients delivered to their door. Oh yeah and then they also get a way to cook it.

So i do not understand what you said about people with no time, and they are juggling careers. Surely the same person pressing a button to order from the said supplier, would be exactly the same as ordering from Tesco or Asda, I suppose the only difference is, you are paying a premium just for telling you how to cook it.

jack123 said:
No, I am definitely not.

Hmm 2 hour shop you say? Come on now.. How long would it take even for a family of four to get the shopping in, I have done it in under 35 minutes.

I'm not even sure where you are going with this? It seems quite simple, they pay over the odds for ingredients delivered to their door. Oh yeah and then they also get a way to cook it.

So i do not understand what you said about people with no time, and they are juggling careers. Surely the same person pressing a button to order from the said supplier, would be exactly the same as ordering from Tesco or Asda, I suppose the only difference is, you are paying a premium just for telling you how to cook it.

We’re on the same page with the value for money bit. Where we have a difference of opinion is regarding the market; you don’t see a market, I do.

Hello Fresh recorded record sales in 2022 and posted £500m EBIT in round numbers, decent figures for a company flogging chicken breasts and bell peppers.

JackSomething said:
I've used Gousto and Hello Fresh once each and I cook a lot of meals. It was about getting some new recipes and trying some new things. Some of the recipes were really good and we still make them, buying the ingredients ourselves.

I had never tried a Moqueca (Brazilian fish stew) before for example. Then had it via Gousto and now make it quite often.

As others said, not great value for money, but convenient and a chance to try some new meals. Not really the same as paying Just Eat to get a pizza delivered.

That sounds a nice dish. I’ll do you a recipe swap with the massaman curry if you want.
:lol:

Cooperman said:
We’re on the same page with the value for money bit. Where we have a difference of opinion is regarding the market; you don’t see a market, I do.

Hello Fresh recorded record sales in 2022 and posted £500m EBIT in round numbers, decent figures for a company flogging chicken breasts and bell peppers.

I'm just replying to the OP, .. . Personally I would never go for them, mate i am ferking wrecked can hardly type this,, All the best .. that literally took me 20 mins to write that.. :lol:

Cooperman said:

Thanks Coops, I guess that answers my question! Still not convinced about the Gin boys, but there you go.
I will ask my Spanish friends in our next language exchange if such a service exists in Spain. I suspect they'll think its some April fools joke or something. Spaniards live to eat, and shopping is an essential part of the experience.

Pegojack said:
Thanks Coops, I guess that answers my question! Still not convinced about the Gin boys, but there you go.
I will ask my Spanish friends in our next language exchange if such a service exists in Spain. I suspect they'll think its some April fools joke or something. Spaniards live to eat, and shopping is an essential part of the experience.

The gin one is several steps too far IMO. Anyone can pick up a bottle of gin and a box of mixers when putting fuel in the car, it’s not like it warrants a full trip down the supermarket. Each to their own I suppose, far be it from me to tell folk how to spend their hard earned cash.

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back