• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Boiler Service

• Thread starter BLAZE
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 25
  • Views: Views 1,023

BLAZE

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
Is it worth getting it done annually or am I better off putting the money into a rainy day fund should it ever need replacing?

It was last serviced three years ago and has low usage through out the year. 15 to 20 year old boiler if I had to guess but otherwise appears to be working as well as expected

BLAZE said:
Is it worth getting it done annually or am I better off putting the money into a rainy day fund should it ever need replacing?

It was last serviced three years ago and has low usage through out the year. 15 to 20 year old boiler if I had to guess but otherwise appears to be working as well as expected

Max will know he’s an expert on this subject.

Our boiler is 8 years old and we have it serviced annually to comply with the 10 year warranty. I’d suggest it worth having it serviced after 3 years just to have it cleaned out and checked.

The problem with Max is you have to catch him when he's sober

We replaced our 23 year old boiler last year and see a big difference, but I never got the old one serviced for the last 10 years. I reckoned they do naff all and it was money for old rope, but on reflection, these things can be dangerous so I was probably reckless. I get it done now to keep the warranty on the new one. Don’t pay British Gas prices though. Our (certified) guy charges £50 a year to do it.

20 years is pretty good going for a boiler. Personally I would think about changing it before you have to deal with heat pumps and suchlike, which are bound to be more expensive and less effective. That’s just a personal opinion though, obviously.

It’s probably inefficient and costing you a lot more to run than a new boiler would. There are grants available to help with the cost of a new boiler under certain circumstances which is worth checking out.

Regards changing it I think my intention was to run it into the ground and likely replace it at the first sight of a large repair bill

Got a CO tester to be safe

I can't comment on it's efficiency vs a new unit but my yearly energy bill came in last week - £696 for the year. I think my gas bill was £390 of that. At such low usage I'm not overly worried if it's not as efficient as it could be

Thanks for all advice

Cheeky swines, service them annually is best, important safety checks get carried out then and any seals that need replacing can be done then. Worth every penny.
I’m nowhere near an expert Mr Prosser.

Another important accessory to any gas appliances is a Carbon Monoxide monitor, they can and do save lives. Get one for every appliance, fires, boilers etc even cookers and position them as high up in the room as you can, the ceiling even👍

Niigata Jack said:
Cheeky swines, service them annually is best, important safety checks get carried out then and any seals that need replacing can be done then. Worth every penny.
I’m nowhere near an expert Mr Prosser.

The expert has spoken. 👌🏻

It depends how much the boiler is used , I would say a service every 3 years is enough , I had a service once and the British gas engineer said I should get a new boiler , so I listened to his suggestion said thanks for the advice and promptly ignored it , 10 years later the burners finally went and I got a new one

Best_loser said:
It depends how much the boiler is used , I would say a service every 3 years is enough , I had a service once and the British gas engineer said I should get a new boiler , so I listened to his suggestion said thanks for the advice and promptly ignored it , 10 years later the burners finally went and I got a new one

Yeah, same here. They are keen for you to replace for some reason that I can't imagine and they always seem to coincidentally have a special deal on at the time that is only for that month. Hearts of gold.

monmouth said:
Best_loser said:

Yeah, same here. They are keen for you to replace for some reason that I can't imagine and they always seem to coincidentally have a special deal on at the time that is only for that month. Hearts of gold.

The older a boiler gets the harder it is to source parts, even the simplest of parts sometimes as well. Not that l’d advocate changing a boiler for the sake of it etc, but sometimes it’s the only option.

monmouth said:
Best_loser said:

99% of any company who sell products will have deals on, 😂

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back