• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

AI

legoman

Tommy Hutchison
Reaction score
I've been hearing increasing amounts of chatter across the various media about the existential threat AI poses to the future of the human race.

I confess to knowing sweet Fanny Adams about what AI in this sense is and even less about why it's such an issue.

So come on all you clever clogs out there; explain to me in words I'll understand, what's it all about?

legoman said:
I've been hearing increasing amounts of chatter across the various media about the existential threat AI poses to the future of the human race.

I confess to knowing sweet Fanny Adams about what AI in this sense is and even less about why it's such an issue.

So come on all you clever clogs out there; explain to me in words I'll understand, what's it all about?

It's the Matrix come to life, son. In a few years, you'll be a Duracell plugged in to run some computer.

You can basically blag yourself a masters degree using AI nowadays...

legoman said:

Try this …
Ask AI to provide you with a poem regarding the Swansea copper industry.
It will provide such .
It basically does away with human thinking

Swanjaxs said:
You can basically blag yourself a masters degree using AI nowadays...
That's Plagiarism at work then, shirley.🤔

Before- the human wrote the code for the machine and the machine acted within its limitations

Now - the machine writes it's own code and expand its limitations

Future - the machine writes the code for the human..

Well thanks for all the replies, but none of this tells me precisely why I should be worried. Can anyone give me a specific example of something scary that AI might do?

If I think a computer is getting ahead of itself, I can just switch it off shirley?

legoman said:
Well thanks for all the replies, but none of this tells me precisely why I should be worried. Can anyone give me a specific example of something scary that AI might do?

If I think a computer is getting ahead of itself, I can just switch it off shirley?
But it'll just switch itself back on of it's own accord. AI isn't just clever robots though. Should we be scared yes and no, dont know enough about it to be fair. It's way beyond my pay grade.

legoman said:

It's all about the creator.. god knows what Putin is up to in Siberia, self destructive nuke to end the world would be my bet.. as he's nuts like.. AI has been around for almost 100 years now, the Nazi's started off with new technological advancements in engineering.. but we're still here and the Nazi's are almost all gone.. whatever you teach it, it will become

Piece on the tele last week , oldie Tomorrows World type broadcast , now not black and white as I remember it .

Showed , as in Star Trek terms , a female android sitting in a chair capable not only of looking like a women , but also holding a conversation .

This was happening in Silicon Valley and the presenter was so OTT in commentary , rein it in mush .
Data on the Enterprise bridge was a good comparison of how she appeared , quite lifelike .

Just to add , women can hold conversations , apologies to the female population .

Robbie said:
Piece on the tele last week , oldie Tomorrows World type broadcast , now not black and white as I remember it .

Showed , as in Star Trek terms , a female android sitting in a chair capable not only of looking like a women , but also holding a conversation .

This was happening in Silicon Valley and the presenter was so OTT in commentary , rein it in mush .
Data on the Enterprise bridge was a good comparison of how she appeared , quite lifelike .

Just to add , women can hold conversations , apologies to the female population .

Literally, wow :eek:

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1665832123989733457?s=46&t=0kMtk9OmFyNmRPcH5AXSHA

legoman said:

The issue is it that is not 'it' anymore, it is 'them' and 'they', you cannot turn something off that will exist as a hive mind in a million other locations.

Most of the reason people are talking about AI at the moment is because of ChatGPT and the like. People have been fooled into thinking they're communicating with a real person, hence it passes the Turing test.

Here's the important part though, ChatGPT and the other similar systems producing art and the like aren't actually AI. They are not capable of learning or 'becoming intelligent'. So don't worry, we're not on the verge of building Skynet or anything.

The reasons to be worried are social problems as with people using them to do their homework, pass tests and the current writer's strike in the US about using them for writing purposes for entertainment (for anyone who plays video games, think how much easier/quicker/cheaper it would be for studios to write relatively unimportant dialogue for hundreds of NPC's in an open world game for example).

It's explained well here if you're interested: https://www.techradar.com/news/calm-down-folks-chatgpt-isnt-actually-an-artificial-intelligence

legoman said:

Read Robert Harris' The Fear Index and then realise that was not even version 0.1
Watch Terminator and Terminator 2
Imagine a self learning algorithm that can think through any potential human intervention to stop it and plan and act accordingly.
Imagine trying to switch off the cloud.

It could be used by billionaire c****s to control and 'monetise everyhing for themselves until it in turn controls them. Or it could be used for good in health, education, and distributing wealth more fairly. Governments, CEOs, and Big Tech will decide. What do you reckon? Scared or not?

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Back