• ***IMPORTANT*** SOME PASSWORDS NOT WORKING

There has been some issues with user passwords. Some users may need to reset their passwords to login to the forum. Please use the password reset option when logging in. If you do experience issues and find our account is locked then please email admin@jackarmy.net Thanks

Advice for Rat Repellent

Stopthebus

Youth Team Apprentice
Reaction score
We live close to a farm on a country lane and have noticed 4/5 rats over the past week or so.

Can anyone offer some advice to deter or any good outdoor repellent solutions?

We know we are likely to see the odd one every now and again due to our location, but would like to proactively do something to deter rather than let the problem continue

Thanks

I went to the local pharmacy last week to get rat poison but they didn’t have any in stock.

The bloke said “you want to try boots.

I said “I want to poison them not kick the c*nts to death.”

Rats need three things food, water and shelter. Gaps (e.g. under a shed) can be blocked with rodent proofing mesh. Objects that are stacked up outside e.g. piles of timber can end up ideal nesting/hiding places.

Compost and manure mounds (absolute no, no) end up as attractants and nesting places also. The gist i.e. the more empty garden space is the less chance there is of rat infestation. Outside bird feeding and dog food/water bowls are another no, no.

Sometimes on rarer occasions outside drainage pipes can be a problem and a rat barrier device can be purchased to block rats but not the passage of water. Rats can get through gaps around the edge of some manholes that look absolutely impossible for them to squeeze through, they are deceptive.

You could just be unlucky and your grounds could just be part of a rat-run where there is no actual infestation itself but rats travel through your property to get to sources of food and water.

I have previously tried two different ‘ultrasonic deterrents’ and found them to be absolutely useless.

If you wish to keep rat numbers down and do it cheaply without snap-traps and expensive poison that are risky for household pet’s automatically resetting (specified for rats not mice) “walk the plank” and “rolling log” bucket trap devices are all weather useful and economical. They can be filled with water for killing, or left unfilled for live catching. They can also be home-made if anyone has the tools and material e.g. using drill, wire clippers, coat-hanger wire, bucket and an empty plastic bottle.

Peanut butter is a great attractant and bait and sticks to snap-trap treadle plates and baiting area’s and has a lesser chance of being lifted off preventing the unwelcome setting off a trap allowing a rat to escape.

I have an electronic trap that uses batteries but it is heavy on batteries, so a rechargeable one is far cost effective. Electronic traps tend to be indoor use only with the outdoor version(s) being vastly more expensive e.g. Victor M460UC Zapper Max OUTDOOR Rat Trap.
If you use a snap trap or any trap place it as close to a wall as possible because that is where rats prefer to travel along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp9QPh-CMIY

Neath_Jack said:
Jack Russell terrier.

Thank me later.

My thoughts entirely. A pure ratter like a Manchester Terrier would be good too

We had some furry friends in our garden about 2 months ago, the kids have rabbits and the rats were going in to the rabbit hutch and taking the feed. It didn’t help that we have neighbours who feed the birds 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 and a stream not far away.
I secured the rabbit hutch as best leaving an access point under the hutch which the rats used. I put sachets of poison near the access point, I also put 2 baited traps and 2 bait boxes down along the building line. After about a month there was no further evidence of any unwelcome visitors, the poison under the hutch was taken as was the poison in the bait box, but the traps weren’t touched.

You can either get a pest control guy out or do it yourself. If you’re using traps, cut a small hole in a box so the rats can get in and bait and set the traps, after about a week they may show an interest. Doing this prevents cates and dogs etc getting hurt. Rats are neophobic and avoid things which are new to their environment. Alternatively, use poison. Buy bait boxes and poison and put them out. You should check the area around the house every days and remove and dispose of any dead rats safely - if you don’t there’s a risk animals feeding on the rats could be poisoned too.

The best poison to get is the 1 feed stuff, but access is restricted to pest control pro’s, people like farmers who have a farm assurance certificate, or people who’ve done a pest control course and got the certificate - it’s about £75.If you know the farmer, have a word maybe he can assist you. I bought poison from the local farmers coop, it was multi feed poison so they needed to eat it more than once - I wasn’t able to source the really strong 1 feed stuff. Alternatively, you can buy the poison on line. I think I bought Sapphire.

Do some reading up on line and look for rat runs. Good luck.

"Rat runs" are interesting, I had a guy from the council around many years ago and he knew all the tricks and experience of where and how to locate a rat infestation and how best to deal with one. He taught me a great trick of what to do when a rat hole is discovered i.e. he filled a plastic bag with rat poison and blocked a rat hole in my the garden that was leading directly under a shed saying that the rats would then have to eat their way out. Apparently many rats will ignore poison bait if tastier food sources are available.

Had a problem with rats during lockdown in our back garden, I've heard stories about how they can disappear down tiny holes by contorting thier joints, one day I opened the back door and spotted a big old rat who then sprinted off towards the side gate a disappeared down a small crack between the gatepost and a dividing wall to next-door. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it... 👀

Thanks everyone some great advice here

I contacted the council’s pest control service yesterday as the more I read online the more anxious I got to get something organised quickly :lol:

Both our neighbours have Jack Russells and I’m starting to realise why :?

The pest control pro's are great, not just for killing them but for finding the source/location of the problem and for preventing reinfestation by seeking out 'vulnerabilities' that may have the potential to create more ongoing problems in the future. I was surprised by the meticulous character, knowledge and 'tricks-of-the-trade' aspect of the guy I met. Educational!

Darran said:
I went to the local pharmacy last week to get rat poison but they didn’t have any in stock.

The bloke said “you want to try boots.

I said “I want to poison them not kick the c*nts to death.”

Sounds like one of Les Dawson's?

2024/2025 fixture list release

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members