On this day thread

It does exactly what it says on the tin. If it's not about football then it belongs in here for discussion. Once again we ask that you respect your fellow posters.

Topic author
Swanjaxs
Posts in topic: 22

On this day thread

Unread post by Swanjaxs »

1957 US Surgeon General Leroy Burney connects smoking with lung cancer

You'd rather me with you than against you

Cooperman
Posts in topic: 15

Re: On this day thread

Unread post by Cooperman »

13th July 1985 - Live Aid at Wembley Stadium.

I was ten at the time and remember being completely engrossed by the sheer scale of it.

Darran
Posts in topic: 16

Unread post by Darran »

Cooperman wrote:
13 Jul 2020 07:24

I was ten at the time and remember being completely engrossed by the sheer scale of it.
Great gig. Nearly as good as Cheap Trick at The Cavern.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award

Topic author
Swanjaxs

13th July 1930 1st-ever football World Cup competition begins in Uruguay

Arthur_From_OTB
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Arthur_From_OTB »

Swanjaxs wrote:
12 Jul 2020 21:51
He wasn't the first to discover the link. Some researchers had know about the link 50 years before that. It was only when the Richard Doll and the Hammand Horn studies came out in 1954 that it became widely acknowledged that smoking can cause lung cancer. Doll, Hammand and Horn all give up smoking after their results came out. I've known many killed by smoking but many people today still think they are immune from reality and it they don't think about lung cancer then it will never happen to them. I've never smoked but I imagine we've got a few smokers on here.

Toronto_Motors
Posts in topic: 4

Unread post by Toronto_Motors »

Arthur_From_OTB wrote:
13 Jul 2020 13:56
Swanjaxs wrote:
12 Jul 2020 21:51
He wasn't the first to discover the link. Some researchers had know about the link 50 years before that. It was only when the Richard Doll and the Hammand Horn studies came out in 1954 that it became widely acknowledged that smoking can cause lung cancer. Doll, Hammand and Horn all give up smoking after their results came out. I've known many killed by smoking but many people today still think they are immune from reality and it they don't think about lung cancer then it will never happen to them. I've never smoked but I imagine we've got a few smokers on here.
I used to smoke heavily until I was mid twenties and it was clear to me it was slowly killing me,as it does to all. People make excuses to do so but there is none at all.NHS bears a heavy cost for treatment still and it is now seen,right,as anti social .Many of my granddad's generation were given and encouraged to smoke as some relief from the blood ,guts and bone numbing stench of war. Smoking killed 3 uncles of mine whom I love dearly.Everyone of them died in their 50s,everyone of them suffered and everyone of them told me never to so it but I did.Their tiny terraced house stank ,as did they so it makes you wonder why people still do so.

The Tobacco industry is powerful though

Arthur_From_OTB
Posts in topic: 2

Unread post by Arthur_From_OTB »

Toronto_Motors wrote:
13 Jul 2020 14:14
I used to smoke heavily until I was mid twenties and it was clear to me it was slowly killing me,as it does to all. People make excuses to do so but there is none at all.NHS bears a heavy cost for treatment still and it is now seen,right,as anti social .Many of my granddad's generation were given and encouraged to smoke as some relief from the blood ,guts and bone numbing stench of war. Smoking killed 3 uncles of mine whom I love dearly.Everyone of them died in their 50s,everyone of them suffered and everyone of them told me never to so it but I did.Their tiny terraced house stank ,as did they so it makes you wonder why people still do so.

When I was young all my family smoked like chimneys and some of them still do even though they've seen family members killed by tobacco. At work everyone smoked and if you asked someone not to smoke next to you they thought you were nuts even though these people knew they were putting their health and mine at risk. It just shows you that many people are not rational.

Toronto_Motors

Arthur_From_OTB wrote:
13 Jul 2020 14:26
Toronto_Motors wrote:
13 Jul 2020 14:14

When I was young all my family smoked like chimneys and some of them still do even though they've seen family members killed by tobacco. At work everyone smoked and if you asked someone not to smoke next to you they thought you were nuts even though these people knew they were putting their health and mine at risk. It just shows you that many people are not rational.
I think much is on peer pressure an the need to conform.I cannot remember going out where fags were not passed around all the timeas well as cannabis,but at least I had the sense not to even try that ,mainly as I had a mate who died of heroin overdose -I thought they were all the same .
I certainly couldnt drive a car without smoking.Now Id rather walk on my fingernails than be within 100yds of a car with smoker.To quit,you have to hate smoking.Truly,there is no other way.Its tough and uncomfortable but it can be done and at any age.You are never too old to stop.

My mum used to have a sly fag when my dad was out and tried denying it .

Cooperman

Darran wrote:
13 Jul 2020 12:50
Cooperman wrote:
13 Jul 2020 07:24

Great gig. Nearly as good as Cheap Trick at The Cavern.
I must have missed that one :roll:

Topic author
Swanjaxs

A very sad anniversary.
Thank goodness humanity has evolved...
RIP

14th July 1941 6,000 Lithuanian Jews are exterminated at Viszalsyan Camp
Last edited by Swanjaxs on 14 Jul 2020 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Toronto_Motors

Swanjaxs wrote:
14 Jul 2020 00:34
A very sad anniversary.
Thank goodness humanity has evolved...
RIP

14th July 1941 6,000 Lithuanian Jews are exterminated at Viszalsyan Camp
and yet some deny the Slaughter

Darran
Posts in topic: 16

Unread post by Darran »

Robbing bástard Scoucers.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award

Cooperman

15th July 2006 - launch of Twitter

A mere fourteen years have passed since Evan Williams and his company Odeo launched the service. At the time the company was spiralling towards closure so he gathered his small team of employees to consider new innovation for introduction to the market. One of them, Jack Dorsey, derived the concept of SMS sharing across groups of people and from there the first prototype was developed. By March of that year the first message was sent and a compressed testing programme thereafter enabled public launch by the July date. Originally known as Twttr, the full migration to Twitter occurred six months later.

Fourteen years on and Jack Dorsey is now CEO and the platform has in excess of 300 million monthly active users. I am one of those and I find it a great source of factual information, humour and news. However there is no getting away from the fact that it can be a cesspit at times and Dorsey and his team are under real pressure to police the content more closely in order to prevent bullying and harassment.

#OnThisDay

Topic author
Swanjaxs

15th July 1883 Tom Thumb, famous small person (40"), dies of a stroke at 44

Massive Swans fan ( well perhaps not massive) 👍
Attachments
tom-thumb-young.jpg
tom-thumb-young.jpg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Last edited by Swanjaxs on 15 Jul 2020 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Cooperman

Swanjaxs wrote:
15 Jul 2020 07:15
15th July 1883 Tom Thumb, famous small person (40"), dies of a stroke at 44

Massive Swans fan ( well perhaps not massive) 👍
Good thread, SJ. This is going to be very informative and educational.