Promotion Contenders

Please only use this forum to discuss football related matters. Non football related posts will be removed to the correct forum. Please respect your fellow posters at all times and refrain as much as possible from the use of bad language.

Topic author
Skippyjack
Posts in topic: 1

Promotion Contenders

Unread post by Skippyjack »

Are we promotion Contenders this season?

We're not like Cardiff and delusional, we merit the realities of football

14 clean sheets, still got Norwich and Brentford at home. 10 points clear of 7th place

We might collapse, but we defend so well right now, we've got resilience and an inner mule about us
These users thanked the author Skippyjack for the post:
dickythorpe

dickythorpe
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Promotion Contenders

Unread post by dickythorpe »

The "P" word can be talked about now, it will be whether we like it or not.

Enjoy the highs.

A4Jack

Unread post by A4Jack »

I think play offs are a certainty, and not jumping the gun with that.

73 to get into play offs, means we’d need 27 points from 22 to get in there. That shows what a great position we are in

PSumbler
Site Admin

Unread post by PSumbler »

Skippyjack wrote:
16 Jan 2021 22:03
Are we promotion Contenders this season?

We're not like Cardiff and delusional, we merit the realities of football

14 clean sheets, still got Norwich and Brentford at home. 10 points clear of 7th place

We might collapse, but we defend so well right now, we've got resilience and an inner mule about us
There is no doubt that we are promotion contenders

Much work to be done but we deserve to be where we are and are more than capable of continuing that. I firmly believe we have a squad with their feet on the floor who won't get carried away.

Been running this place since 2001, still gives me a headache now!

eteb
Posts in topic: 3

Unread post by eteb »

come on yanks, 2-3mil in and we will go up.
we will not get a better chance than this. next season will be a struggle - no woodman, guehi, ayew. Likely suitors for grimes, roberts and cabango (and v likely cooper)

eteb

Unread post by eteb »

we will not get a better chance than this. next season will be a struggle - no woodman, guehi, ayew. Likely suitors for grimes, roberts and cabango (and v likely cooper)

MrSwerve

Unread post by MrSwerve »

dickythorpe wrote:
16 Jan 2021 22:04
The "P" word can be talked about now, it will be whether we like it or not.

Enjoy the highs.
And the Lowes.
These users thanked the author MrSwerve for the post (total 2):
J_B, dickythorpe

A4Jack

Unread post by A4Jack »

Maybe we should start the “March to Automatic Promotion” thread.

I reckon we need 86 points this year minimum with the three other sides in contention and hope that Brentford can’t handle the pressure with the in hand games like the end of last season when they blew it.

Leaves us needing 40 points from 22 games. 11 wins, 7 draws

MajorR

Unread post by MajorR »

Pre season I wasn't expecting anything like this, to be fair Cooper’s done a tidy job. There’s a few teams with more money than the Swans in the play offs or hovering just outside the play offs, so it’s going to be a tough gig and to get an auto spot Cooper’s going to need to better Rodgers play off achievement. I’d like to see Cooper ( and the team ) backed because he / they have earned it, if a new player is needed go for it because they are in the running.

JackSomething

Unread post by JackSomething »

eteb wrote:
16 Jan 2021 22:10
I don't think it's even about spending that much. If we keep hold of everyone we've got, plus sign this American guy and Hourihane for the rest of the season, I think that's showing plenty of ambition.

Hell, for all I know those 2 deals might cost £2-3m when wages are factored in.

sainthelens

Unread post by sainthelens »

I'm getting a real feeling that the side are strutting and fully confident that they can be top 2. Personally I think the squad needs bitta strengthening just to make sure. We've been down this road with Potter when we said the owners need to gamble and spend few quid to get over the line. This time is different, we are playing better imo, so they need to take a punt now ...ask Coops what he needs, then they'll reap the rewards. Not brain surgery.

Captain_Sham

Unread post by Captain_Sham »

To go up auto you have to keep winning, its that simple. The tealeaves are predicting Brentford style last day heartache and a one and done in the playoffs. Ouch

Its just a ride.

Best_loser

Unread post by Best_loser »

Automatic or not at all is my gut feeling
Winning the play offs is very difficult for teams who lost in them the previous season

I always tell the truth, even when I lie

eteb

Unread post by eteb »

MajorR wrote:
16 Jan 2021 23:13
Pre season I wasn't expecting anything like this, to be fair Cooper’s done a tidy job. There’s a few teams with more money than the Swans in the play offs or hovering just outside the play offs, so it’s going to be a tough gig and to get an auto spot Cooper’s going to need to better Rodgers play off achievement. I’d like to see Cooper ( and the team ) backed because he / they have earned it, if a new player is needed go for it because they are in the running.
i was expecting top 6. We have been, in the main, exceptional since we swapped to back 3. Our home performances we play great football, less so away (today) but thats obviously the game plan - stay in the game and win the second half

Nocountryforoldjack

Unread post by Nocountryforoldjack »

As Shamster says... Just keep winning innit, think a lot will depend on injuries and the transfer window. We are doing everything right at the moment, strong defence, scoring goals, winning home and way, that's promotion ingredients all day long. Steve Cooper deserves massive praise this season.