Press "Enter" to skip to content

REPORT: Wolves 2 Swansea City 2

Share this article
  • 1

The Swans throw away a two goal lead in the last 6 minutes to record their first away point of the season at Molineux

And whilst most people would probably have taken a point at the start of the game it was disappointment for the highly vocal travelling support as they left the ground as the home team snatched a point that they simply did not deserve thanks to a mad 2 minute spell.

The two goals were against the run of play as the Swans were the better side for the first 84 minutes and looked as if they were set to record their first Premier League victory on the road as a reward for their endeavours.

First half goals from Danny Graham – his third in the last three games – and Joe Allen had looked to set the Swans on their way to a comfortable victory as they looked to halt their run of four consecutive away defeats at the start of the season.

Something had to give today as the home side were on their own run of five straight defeats and with an unforgiving home crowd in place it was all set at the start of the game to be a Premier League cracker for the watching lunchtime TV audience.

And to be honest it proved to be as the Swans took the game completely to their hosts pretty much from the off and gained a very early hold on the midfield thanks to the excellent Mark Gower, Joe Allen and Leon Britton.   Add to that mix Nathan Dyer and Scott Sinclair and there was plenty for the home side to think about as the Swans made a mockery of the summer claims of the bench warming Dorus De Vries who said he was off for a better chance of staying in the Premier League.

The first chance of the game though fell to the home side when a long shot was parried by Vorm but rebounded to safety much to the relief of the crowd who had seen the Swans fall behind to an early goal at Norwich just seven days before.   That though was the full extent of Wolves’ danger in the first half as they struggled to get any hold on the game and the Swans were in control.

The first goal came from a pin point ball from Mark Gower who found Graham beyond the home side defence and he controlled neatly and poked the ball past Wayne Hennessy to send the travelling fans into celebratory mode.

The Swans got their nose ahead and didn’t have to wait long for a second as another perfect ball over the top found Graham breaking beyond the Wolves defence and his ball across the box was perfect for Allen who guided the ball past Hennessy to double the Swans advantage.

2-0 and the call was definitely to press on as the home crowd became more vocal in their criticism of their team and the Swans almost added to their advantage when Sinclair controlled a long ball and fired at Hennessy who grabbed the rebound after his initial parry.

Without a doubt it was the Swans best first half on the road this season and they emerged in the second half full of confidence and whilst they were happy to soak up time with the home team having the ball we never looked in danger of conceding a goal and there seemed to be only one winner for large periods of the game.

Indeed the Swans were continually a threat on the break particularly through Sinclair who was constantly an outlet ready to run at the Wolves defence and cause them problems with the Swans aware that one more goal would end the game as a contest.

The game though changed when subs were made as Orlandi replaced Britton and Routledge was introduced for Dyer and for the first time the Swans looked more on the defensive.  Cheap ball was being given away and Wolves sensed their own chance.    That chance came when Doyle pounced on a loose ball in the area and hit home from close range to pull one goal back.  It was set for a nervy finsh and Moras was introduced for Gower as the Swans all of a sudden looked to cling onto their lead.

But it was not to be as Wolves broke again and within seconds the ball was again in the back of the net and to the amazement of everyone the scoreline was tied and it was Wolves on the offensive for the last few minutes and somehow the Swans were grateful to hear the final whistle in a game they totally dominated bar a six minute period.

On the plus side we have shaken the noose of not getting anything on our travels but the downside was definitely the two dropped points that we hope don’t prove costly come the end of May.   Today was a harsh lesson in not finishing a game off but it’s a point nonetheless and we can build further on this next week against Bolton at the Liberty.


Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *